Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Post ww2 British medal pair.

Article about: Name: image.jpg  Views: 0  Size: 145.2 KB  ID: 897597 class= thumbnail style= float:CONFIG /> Picked these up for cheap, neither is named so does this mean they were awarded t

Default Post ww2 British medal pair.

Post ww2 British medal pair.Post ww2 British medal pair.

Picked these up for cheap, neither is named so does this mean they were awarded to a British soldier?

?

Not British medals; appear to be from some Muslim country.

BobS

They are Pakistani medals. The left hand medal is the Tamgha I Diffa (Pakistan Defence Medal) with Kashmir 1948 clasp and the right hand one is the Pakistan Independence Medal. I have seen Indian Independence Medals named to British recipients and would assume the same would be true for Pakistani ones. I am not sure what un- named medals would signify.

Quote by BobS View Post
    Not British medals; appear to be from some Muslim country. BobS
    Yep, a Muslim country indeed. Pakistan in fact which is why, Pakistan having been part of British ruled India, they are similar in appearance to British medals.

Generally, looking at the medals would show by absence of British symbplism that they were not British and equally the Crescent moon on the flag with no other symbols would indicate Pakistan. However, in this case one of the pair has a King George VI cypher. This is because this medal is the Pakistan Independance medal issued on independance from Britain after partition from India. This medal should be made of cupro-nickle and be similar in physical appearance to contemporary British medals. The ribbon looks black in these pics but it should be dark green.

The other medal with the Kashmir bar is the Pakistani service / campaign medal for the 1st Indo / Pakistani war which was fought over the northern province of Kashmir and which remains in dispute to this day. This medal is made of a base metal inferior to cupro-nickle and more "tinny" looking.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards

Mark

Edit; Nice one Spit', you got in whilst I was scribbling! I guess I waffle too much
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

This site may be of assistance in the future to identify British campaign/service medals https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_campaign_medals