Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Purple Heart - Serial 453287

Article about: I received an item of special significance to me today, a purple heart I picked up. The heart has serial number 453287. I was shooting for getting a WW2 issued purple heart, and I discovered

?

Awesome looking PH!!!
    Also thanks for that link. It is now saved to Bookmark!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

avenger, you may just be in luck. recently someone put a list together for traceable ww2 numbered PHs. if you like, i can send you the pdf.

ps, there is also list for numbered ww2 silver stars as well.

That would be awesome. Thank you! I'll PM you to get that.

Quote by medalman90 View Post
    avenger, you may just be in luck. recently someone put a list together for traceable ww2 numbered PHs. if you like, i can send you the pdf.

ps, there is also list for numbered ww2 silver stars as well.

I don't think I had my blacklight when I bought this medal and for some reason had the idea to look at it tonight. Turns out the ribbon on the medal had been resewn to the brooch with modern thread. I hope this doesn't hurt it too much, though I doubt I would buy a medal that I know the brooch and ribbon had been tampered with, so that probably answers that question. I guess this one goes up as a learning experience. Everyone needs to be sure to have a blacklight for testing in this hobby to look for issues that aren't readily apparent.

I would never have expected this one to be messed with as all three pieces of ribbon match each other perfectly in their aging. Not really sure if this is a put together set, or if the veteran may have at some point had to repair the medal. I guess I'll never know. But, since it's a numbered PH with an enamel heart instead of plastic insert, it's not going to be a case of a later PH planchet being repurposed and put on a slot brooch to fool someone. Everything but that thread is period and correct, so it's likely a repair I guess. Probably the pin or brooch was damaged or broken and replaced by a previous owner since both sides of thread are modern.

Purple Heart - Serial 453287

Could it have originally been a wrap brooch ?
    I still think it's a nice set.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Still a nice conditioned WW2 manufactured piece imo cheers Paul

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2