Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Queen's South Africa Medal

Article about: Just got this, I took a shot at it seemed pretty interesting. This is my first British or commonwealth related medal. Nice toning to the silver, named on the side Thanks for looking General

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    lovely medals pre WW2,a lost art now in UK.
    Not really a lost art, it's just that there are just as many "marriages" regarding the bars. As there are fake T.R awards. Again research pays off, or asking advice on forums such as this. Re-stamping/engraving are always out there, even if it was done a long, long time ago & not by dealers. Boer war & QSA's are the ones most enhanced, along with Crimea medals. As with any medal collecting, it's all research, research before buying. Stewy

the other interesting technical detail is the hand holding the wreath points at the R in Africa, the later versions have it pointing at the F.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Queen's South Africa Medal  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by kc1 View Post
    He may not have been entitled to a KSA award of QSA didnt necessarily entitle to immediate award of KSA it would depend when he was in country, as you can see from the roll people were coming and going throughout the Regiments time in S.Africa.
    I know this, but if he was not entitled to the KSA I would expect him to have the South Africa 1901 or 1902 clasps on his QSA.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

kc1
    ?

Cant remember when Vicky popped off but i think she was still on the throne when this chap returned to blighty so no king yet equals no KSA. I also dont recall when the actual medals were issued but it could be the case that this chaps time was up hence his return and what he went away with is what we see here it would have been difficult for a non serving private to get his bar entitlement up to current issue if he even knew or cared. Theres certainly no bar on the roll for 01 or 02 so maybe theres another sheet somewhere in kew.

I meant the designs Stewy,from WW! onwards they became very bland.

Quote by harryamb2 View Post
    I meant the designs Stewy,from WW! onwards they became very bland.
    Ahh yes Harry, I see what you mean. That's one of the reasons I took more interest in T.R German awards. More indepth, & challenging. A minefield of fakes though. Stewy

Service records...

Cheers, Tom

Queen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa MedalQueen's South Africa Medal

wow! kick ass thank you so much stewy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2