Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

question about Medal Of Honor

Article about: Hello I saw a MOH with a maker mark L.I.G.I. is this mark WW2 or post-war ? how is a value of this non attributed medal with box? thanks for answers cordially Didier

Default Re: question about Medal Of Honor

These can be traded outside the USA as far as I know.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hello Adrian
    thank you
    now, I hope someone can answer my first question ? may be
    cordially
    Didier

As stated it is illegal to buy or make a MOH in the US. I believe all who are awarded the MOH are generally buried with it, except the ribbon pin. I would be cautious if someone is selling one because they are pretty much impossible to get a real one, besides earning it.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Just found this on the Congressional Medal of Honor Society website:-

Is it illegal to sell the Medal of Honor?
    It is illegal to sell, wear, or manufacture any decorations or medals authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States.

In General. - Whoever knowingly wears, manufactures, or sells any decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, or the ribbon, button, or rosette of any such badge, decoration or medal, or any colorable imitation thereof, except when authorized under regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title (18 United State Code) or imprisoned not more than six months or both.

Title 18 United States Code. Sec. 1001, entitled "Statements or entries
    generally," June 25, 1948, ch. 45, 62 Stat. 749.

Regards, Ned.
    So, it's illegal to buy a Purple Heart? lol

?

One of the MoHs I saw for sale was for sale because the owners (descendant or spouse of the recipient, can't remember) had financial difficulty and was trying to earn a quick buck. So they do pop up occasionally...

Nitram

The law regarding the buying/selling of important medals
    is called the 'Stolen Valour Act'.

'LI-GI' are current production pieces, likely made
    within the last 15 to 20 years.........

https://www.emedals.com/Pages/Direct....aspx?id=12551

https://www.emedals.com/Pages/Direct....aspx?id=12407
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by bichon View Post
    Hello Adrian
    thank you
    now, I hope someone can answer my first question ? may be
    cordially
    Didier
    What are you trying to imply mister? At no time was I being 'uncordial', just stating the law regarding the sale of these in the U.S. You are well out of order saying that I did not answer your question in an honest manner. You sir are a disgrace to free speech.

Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

As Ned stated earlier, it is illegal to buy, seel or trade the Medal of Honor in the USA. Outside the USA I believe it is "fair game". I would love to have a replica to display but that too is illegal here. Funny that we can own full automatic weapons but not a medal. I guess that shows how much respect we have for that decoration in the USA.

Burt

?

The SVA restricts anyone from buying, selling or trading the MOH within the US. Doing this outside of the US is unrestricted as the SVA is US law. However, if you are a US citizen and purchase the MOH outside the US and are caught with it in the US, if unable to prove you obtained it legally (via a descendant) then you would be in violation of the SVA.

As for the example the OP references, this was manufactured by Lordship Industries, the company who in the 80's (I believe) had the contract to manufacture the MOH for the government (amongst other US medals). They however were producing MOH's outside the government contract and selling them out the back door on the open market. As a result, they lost their contract, and typically, to most collectors, a MOH manufactured by LI is deemed a fake unless there is provenance tying it back to a MOH recipient.

To answer some other questions on this thread. Firstly, the MOH was not always buried with the recipient; as matter of fact, prior to the SVA, many resided museums (and still do) as well as in private collections (and still may unbeknownst to the US government).

As for the PH and other US medals of valor, it is not illigal to own, sell, buy or trade them. The SVA however does make it illigal to falsify being a recipient of these medals.

This was the original intent if the SVA, however the CMOH Society went overboard and made ordinary collectors, just like us, criminals for obtaining them legally prior to establishment of the SVA.

Many collectors have had the FBI show up at their door step as a result. The sad part is, any MOH reclaimed in this matter, as I understand it, is therefore considered a fake and destroyed.

I believe, however, that the SVA is currently being legally challenged and is under review for possible altering. As said above, as it now stands, many a long time collector is in violation and is breaking a Federal law by being so. I imagine that such review and revisions would involve a lengthy period of time to polish and refine,however. One has to wonder if there are Any new laws that get passed correctly the first time. Doesn't anyone ever Review these things before passing them?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast