Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Rare awards to the Burmese Army for World War Two

Article about: I have been very lucky to be researching a collection of awards made to loyal Burmese soldiers for service in World War Two. While many of the Burmese sided with the Japanese, the Christian

Jemadar Kareng Tang

Born in Myitkyina, Kachin State, Burma.

No. 67201 Havildar (Sergeant) in the 2nd Burma Rifles, transferred as Jemadar (Lieutenant) with the Northern Kachin Levies.

The Levies were recruited from the Kachins to serve as a guerilla force behind Japanese lines.

Awarded the Burma Gallantry Medal; London Gazette 8th February 1945

"During the period 16th Nov. 1943 to 15th May 1944, Jemadar Kareng Tang has on all occasions shown a very high standard of leadership and devotion to duty. During the past 2 months this officer, working under trying conditions, has ambushed 4 enemy parties superior in numbers and equipment and inflicted heavy casualties without loss to his own platoon. For his continued good work, initiative and desire to kill the enemy this Jemadar deserves the highest praise."

He was also awarded a double barrel shotgun at the end of his service “for meritorious service rendered with the Northern Kachin Levies during the war 1942-45.” signed by the CO 1st Kachin Rifles.

Kareng Tang later wrote:
    In 1944 I was a Northern Kachin Levies platoon commander. My troop camped near the N'Paw Daru village. One day 10 Japanese soldiers approached and entered the village. They covered their bodies with leaves. My troops fought against the Japanese bravely. We killed all the Japanese soldiers. But no one of my men was injured. I could lead the troop without casualties therefore I received a Burma Gallantry Medal of the King of United Kingdom.

Kareng Tang died in 1968
    Attached Images Attached Images Rare awards to the Burmese Army for World War Two  Rare awards to the Burmese Army for World War Two  Rare awards to the Burmese Army for World War Two 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2