Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Real or fake ww1

Article about: Argh confused lol!

Default Re: Real or fake ww1

Argh confused lol!

I have one of these and it looks just like mine. I think its authentic. The metal looks right, the ribbon looks right, I dont see a problem.

Surely the medal card left blank says its fake?

Quote by Davidcwjones View Post
    Surely the medal card left blank says its fake?
    Not necessarily - I will do a bit more digging on Ancestry

Cheers mate, ill be gutted if its a fake....

Nothing further to report from Ancestry I'm afraid - unfortunately a lot of WW1 Service Records were destroyed in a fire.

Did a little research on Army numbers, as I was slightly confused as to why your man had two.

According to this site

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.c...bn-london.html

"14th (County of London) Bn, The London Regiment (London Scottish)

8141 joined on July 17th 1916
    8411 joined on August 31st 1916

When the Territorial Force was re-numbered in 1917, The 14th Londons re-numbered within the block 510001 to 530000
    ."

If that information is correct, it appears that he joined the London Scottish in 1916 and therefore wouldn't qualify for the 1914 Star.

The Battalion did see service in France from September 1914 onwards.

That's it I'm afraid.

My conclusion from that evidence would be that he couldn't have been eligible for that medal.

BTW, I know nothing about the medals themselves so I won't comment on that aspect.

Regards

Richie

?

IMHO, it's a "good un".
    I've just checked it alongside my wife's great-grandfather's and it appears to be a good match.

Real or fake ww1Real or fake ww1

Apologies if these pic's arent much help, but they are the only ones that I have. The medals have been court mounted for wear and, for obvious reasons, I am not willing to "split them down" again.

Regards etc
    Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

That's a differant medal matey that's the 1914-1915 star, notice theirs no months stamped between the swords? Thanks anyways and they are beautiful. I'm just gonna stick to what I know and keep on the Germans side of things. Thanks guys I appreciate it.

?

Quote by Davidcwjones View Post
    That's a differant medal matey that's the 1914-1915 star, notice theirs no months stamped between the swords? Thanks anyways and they are beautiful. I'm just gonna stick to what I know and keep on the Germans side of things. Thanks guys I appreciate it.
    Ooops, Sorry David, Im glad somebody's awake and looking properly!

It still looks good when compared to others that I have seen, of the CORRECT Star!

Too late in the evening and Im trying to do three things at once, (on here, sort my sh*t out for the mornings Remembrance Parade and watch a programme on More4 about some WWI mass graves that were found a couple of years ago and excavated etc)

Regards etc

Ian D

AKA: Jimpy

The 1/14th LONDON REGIMENT(SCOTTISH) were the only battalion of that regiment to join the BEF in FRANCE during september 1914.On the 31st of october they fought at the first battle of MESSINES-YPRES.The battalion remained in action for the duration of the war.As for the medal index card not showing his entitlement to the 1914 star i can only put down to administative error as his battalion were present in FRANCE at the correct time to be awarded the medal.The 2nd and 3rd battalions did'nt arrive at the front until 1916,so would not have qualified for the 1914 medal,if this were my award i would be more than happy with it's authenticity but thats a call only you can make. I hope this information helps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast