Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Royal Canadian Air Force, Medals and Badges.

Article about: Hello all for those of you that do not know I am going to make a shadow box for my grand mothers cousin. He passed away on/about November 7, 1943. I have not yet ordered his military records

Default Royal Canadian Air Force, Medals and Badges.

Hello all for those of you that do not know I am going to make a shadow box for my grand mothers cousin. He passed away on/about November 7, 1943. I have not yet ordered his military records. But I am going to go work at a pretty big antiques show. I was just wondering what are the basic medals and badges I should look out for, for the RCAF. Since this is out side of the medals that I typicality buy are there any suggestions that you might have for me to watch out for, both good and bad? Thank you for reading my post's and responding!

From Alex.

Default Re: Royal Canadian Air Force, Medals and Badges.

I think in your g.uncles case he would have had the standard Canadian service trio for WW II, perhaps even less. The Defence Medal, The Canadian Volunteer Service medal (perhaps with a bar for 6 months service in an overseas theatre) and the war medal. Depending on where he was stationed and for how long, maybe a 39-45 star. His service record will tell you exactly.

He would have worn an RCAF "N" wing, maybe an "O" wing if he was trained before 1941 and "canada" shoulder titles. These are cheap and widely available on ebay, don't spend more than $100.00 for the medals and about $35.00 on the wing. It is doubtful you'll find anything in a California antique fair that doesn't have delusional price tags associated with it. There is the Petaluma Military show in about a month.

This dealer usually has this sort of thing, he is not well versed in Allied stuff so questionable items turn (more of a TR type) and prices are all over the place - but never a bargain. but he is fair and trustworthy.
    The Collector's Guild
    The Collector's Guild

and if you can find any get some RCAF coat buttons they look really good in a display as mine do and if you can see if you can find RCAF cufflinks (I have one but never found the second ) you could also look into getting an RCAF cap badge made of brass and perhaps the Wedge/ garrison cap for one good luck

Quote by asterperious View Post
    I think in your g.uncles case he would have had the standard Canadian service trio for WW II, perhaps even less. The Defence Medal, The Canadian Volunteer Service medal (perhaps with a bar for 6 months service in an overseas theatre) and the war medal. Depending on where he was stationed and for how long, maybe a 39-45 star. His service record will tell you exactly.

He would have worn an RCAF "N" wing, maybe an "O" wing if he was trained before 1941 and "canada" shoulder titles. These are cheap and widely available on ebay, don't spend more than $100.00 for the medals and about $35.00 on the wing. It is doubtful you'll find anything in a California antique fair that doesn't have delusional price tags associated with it. There is the Petaluma Military show in about a month.

This dealer usually has this sort of thing, he is not well versed in Allied stuff so questionable items turn (more of a TR type) and prices are all over the place - but never a bargain. but he is fair and trustworthy.
    The Collector's Guild
    The Collector's Guild
    asterperious, Thank you for your ideas. I now have a list I would like to buy. When you say don't spend more that $100.00 for the medals, are you referring to each medal correct? The prices today were pretty out there. I have never been to the Petaluma Military show. Thank you for the tip! I am going to the military show in Hayward on the 20th. Are you going to the Petaluma Military show?Thank you for the tip on the place to buy stuff. I have been to his website before, but forgot what it was called, so thank you! Again thank you for your tips you have given me. I'll post some pictures up when I buy some RCAF medals. Sadly I did not buy any RCAF medals or anything.

From Alex

Quote by crites1234 View Post
    and if you can find any get some RCAF coat buttons they look really good in a display as mine do and if you can see if you can find RCAF cufflinks (I have one but never found the second ) you could also look into getting an RCAF cap badge made of brass and perhaps the Wedge/ garrison cap for one good luck
    Hello crites1234. Thank you for your posting! I did not see anything RCAF. I did not look through each vender's stuff (long story as to why). It looks like I am going bake next month so i'll keep my eye out for you as well. Do you think you could send me a picture of your shodow box, and your cufflink(s). That way I can have an idea of what to look for. Again thank you and have a good night or day, EH.
    On a side note I will send you a pm soon.

From Alex

here they are the cuff link has the red arrow to it i also have the two styles of buttons not sure why the difference
    Royal Canadian Air Force, Medals and Badges.Royal Canadian Air Force, Medals and Badges.Royal Canadian Air Force, Medals and Badges.Royal Canadian Air Force, Medals and Badges.Royal Canadian Air Force, Medals and Badges.Royal Canadian Air Force, Medals and Badges.

CBH
    ?

Is that a cufflink or a screw together button for shoulder boards , used on heavy coats etc . Cufflinks usually have a swivel catch and are one piece . But I could be wrong .
    Good luck Alex , it's a nice thing your trying to do . To many people forget about the past generations , and wouldn't think to put something like this together . I'm sure he'd be proud .
    Cheers Chris

i honestly wasn't sure it does have a screw on back i just figured it was a cufflink because of how small it was

crites1234, first post, I was at work when you posted. Thank you for the pictures. It helps out. I might find something this weekend (I got a good feeling). If there are any other buttons you would like please let me know. I am going to a flea market this weened and it's them is vintage so i think the "button lady" will be there. This goes far anyone else as well!

CBH, Thank you for your idea's as well! I hope he would be proud. I could not agree with you anymore that we often frogot about the past generations, which is quite sad .

From Alex

It's good to know if its a cuff-link or not, since I would only look in the buttons. Ether way I'll check it out and tell some of the people I buy from and talk to.

From Alex.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast