Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Territorial Efficiency Group

Article about: Ned you are a true Gent. Cheers, Ade.

Default Territorial Efficiency Group

Hi

First off a massive thank you to Ned who very kindly gave this to me!

It was awarded to 1436080 CPL. F. Hodgson 1st Battalion Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. The group consists of:

1939-45 Star
    Africa Star with brass no.'8' for 8th Army
    Italy Star
    1939-45 War Medal
    Territorial Efficiency Medal

It also has the lid with:

Mr.F.Hodgson,
    16 Copes Crescent.
    Fallings Park,
    Wolverhampton

Now the amazing thing about this grouping is that Ned found it in a skip!

I will update this thread when I have done some more research.

Thanks

Cameron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Territorial Efficiency Group   Territorial Efficiency Group  

Territorial Efficiency Group   Territorial Efficiency Group  

Default Re: Territorial Efficiency Group

Wow, excellent group and very generous of Ned to gift it to you IMO
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Very nice grouping and what do you mean by ned found it in a skip ?

Quote by ww2relichunter View Post
    Hi

A forum member Big Ned (Ned) found the group in a skip.

Thanks

Cameron

?

Excellent group!

Cheers, Pat

Hi

Cheers Pat.

Cameron

Quote by ww2relichunter View Post
    Hello Mate,

I found these medals back in early January 2006 at the local council tip when I took the old Christmas tree and accumulated festive rubbish there to dump. It was pouring with rain, and as I chucked stuff in one of the skips I saw an old sports bag with a watch chain hanging out of it.

Needless to say, I reached in and pulled the bag out. There was random bits in it that were just rubbish, but on the end of the chain was a War Department issue pocket watch and the medals complete with the box. I had them away.

Everything was absolutely soaked through, and as I dried everything out, the tray of the box just disintegrated, but I was left with the lid, the watch(not working) and chain (not period, it's stamped BR for British Rail), the medals and a couple of spare unused ribbons.

The address on the boxlid was only about a mile from my work, just off the same main road, so I had a drive up. The house was a nice 1920's semi in a quiet road. I asked an old chap who was living near by if he knew the fellow the medals belonged to. He said he'd didn't really, but he lived alone and he'd died back in the early 90's and the house was now owned by an Indian family, and somone else had been there before them.

I was a little upset that the medals had been skipped, but who knows how they got there and where had they been for well over a decade? I always said i'd never sell them, and I haven't, they've just sat in a drawer since then. When I saw Cam was looking at getting a Territorial medal, I just thought he might like them. Plus I know he's interested in geneology, and thought it would be a nice grouping to investigate further, so I gave them to him.

The Argyll's are a good regiment to research, they saw a lot of action, I think the chap may have joined up as a regular before the war and possibly been in the 1st Battalion, judging by the medals he received.

I just thought it was better that they went to someone who may enjoy researching their history and that of Cpl.Hodgson, rather than lying in a drawer, so that's that.

The watch is now working after a service, and I kept that!

Regards, Ned
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Quote by big ned View Post
    Hello Mate,

I found these medals back in early January 2006 at the local council tip when I took the old Christmas tree and accumulated festive rubbish there to dump. It was pouring with rain, and as I chucked stuff in one of the skips I saw an old sports bag with a watch chain hanging out of it.

Needless to say, I reached in and pulled the bag out. There was random bits in it that were just rubbish, but on the end of the chain was a War Department issue pocket watch and the medals complete with the box. I had them away.

Everything was absolutely soaked through, and as I dried everything out, the tray of the box just disintegrated, but I was left with the lid, the watch(not working) and chain (not period, it's stamped BR for British Rail), the medals and a couple of spare unused ribbons.

The address on the boxlid was only about a mile from my work, just off the same main road, so I had a drive up. The house was a nice 1920's semi in a quiet road. I asked an old chap who was living near by if he knew the fellow the medals belonged to. He said he'd didn't really, but he lived alone and he'd died back in the early 90's and the house was now owned by an Indian family, and somone else had been there before them.

I was a little upset that the medals had been skipped, but who knows how they got there and where had they been for well over a decade? I always said i'd never sell them, and I haven't, they've just sat in a drawer since then. When I saw Cam was looking at getting a Territorial medal, I just thought he might like them. Plus I know he's interested in geneology, and thought it would be a nice grouping to investigate further, so I gave them to him.

The Argyll's are a good regiment to research, they saw a lot of action, I think the chap may have joined up as a regular before the war and possibly been in the 1st Battalion, judging by the medals he received.

I just thought it was better that they went to someone who may enjoy researching their history and that of Cpl.Hodgson, rather than lying in a drawer, so that's that.

The watch is now working after a service, and I kept that!

Regards, Ned
    Wow Ned you really are a great guy and that is a cool way to find things glad thier are still nice people out their willing to help out other collectors

Sad that someone would bin this great set of medals,
    Very kind and generous of you Ned.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi

Some information about 1st Battalion.

The 1st Battalion saw service in Palestine, North Africa, Crete, Ethiopia, Sicily and Italy.

The 1st Battalion fought in the Western Desert Campaign, Crete, Abyssinia, Sicily and in the Italian Campaign. The first action for the 1st Battalion was at Sidi Barani where they joined the battle on 10 December 1940 as part of the 16th Brigade. On 17 May 1941 the battalion moved to Crete where they formed part of the defence based on the east side of the island at Tymbaki. Most of the Argylls marched from Tymbaki to the airfield at Heraklion on the night of 24 May to help support the 14th Infantry Brigade in the fighting at that airfield. They were successfully evacuated on 29 May from Heraklion but their convoy suffered air attacks and many casualties on the route away from Crete. The Argylls left at Tymbaki were captured when the island surrendered. The 1st Battalion was shipped to Alexandria and after garrison duties followed by a raid into the Gondar region of Abyssinia, they were sent back to the Western Desert where they were eventually attached to the 10th Indian Infantry Division and fought at the Battle of El Alamein. The 1st Battalion landed on Sicily during Operation Husky in 1943 and fought throughout the Italian Campaign with firstly the 50th (Northumbrian) Infantry Division and then the 8th Indian Infantry Division.

The 1st Battalion acted as a Beach Brick - a formation which followed up the assault troops during the landing and organised the landing of stores and vehicles - for the landings in Sicily and Italy, before reverting to a standard infantry role as a unit in the 8th Indian Division, in the first part of 1944. It then fought its way up Italy until May 1945.

The Battalion was in action at the final attack on Monte Cassino and the crossing of the River Liri, which cleared the way to the Italian capital, where they carried out an assault crossing of the River Rapido. The Battalion then took part in the advance on the German’s Gothic Line.
    They continued to meet German resistance at Abertino, Vaiano, Cavallata and Monte Cerere before the Germans began to withdraw. Driving a retreating enemy before them, the Battalion was part of the first crossing of the River Senio.

Thanks

Cameron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast