Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

U.S. Army Distinguished Service Cross - WW2 numbered

Article about: Hi folks, Received a special new medal in the post today, a U.S. Distinguished Service Cross for the Army branch of service. This one is a WW2 slot brooch that is colored black which I belie

Default U.S. Army Distinguished Service Cross - WW2 numbered

Hi folks,

Received a special new medal in the post today, a U.S. Distinguished Service Cross for the Army branch of service. This one is a WW2 slot brooch that is colored black which I believe makes it manufactured by Robbins co., and is numbered "19251". The case is the wooden type. If you're not aware of this medal, it is the second highest U.S. medal that can be awarded, behind only the Medal of Honor. It has been awarded somewhere in the ballpark of 11,300 times since it's inception in 1917. I'll find a lapel pin and ribbon bar for it eventually, but I'm not sure how often the numbered examples show up, so I went for it on this one.

Awarded to U.S. and Foreign military personnel and civilians who have displayed extraordinary heroism in one of the following situations:

While engaged in action against an enemy of the United States,
    While engaged in military operations involving conflict with a foreign force, or
    While serving with a friendly nation engaged in armed conflict against a force in which the United States is not a belligerent party.

Last edited by avenger; 07-11-2015 at 10:06 PM.

Very nice. I have always thought this was the nicest design of all US medals.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

A Great addition!!!!! And with the case to boot is a winner winner!!
    Just curious about the numbers on it. Was this something that was to record who was the recipient or like Purple Hearts just a serial number put on it by the manufacturer?
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Manufacturers did put the numbers on them, and they were used to record who received them (even with the PH), but records aren't real great on any of the US medals in this regard. I think there was a fire in the 70's in a significant records office and a lot of records were lost. Sometimes I think they also simply didn't do a good job recording them. Complicating matters, I understand they didn't issue them sequentially, so a certain number range can often just help you narrow down the period in which they were issued. But, you can also often tell that by the brooch set up anyway.

I know with PH's and some of the other medals, they stopped numbering them after a certain point during WW2, which makes numbers a dead ringer for a WW2 issued PH as I understand it. As for these DSC's I don't know for sure if that applies.
    Last edited by avenger; 07-12-2015 at 02:16 AM.

MAP
    ?

Massive thumbs up! Would love one of these!!! Lucky man
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

An Excellent award to pick up! It is, admittedly, tantalizing about the numbers, but, so far as I'm aware, a listing of the recipients to match the numbers has never yet been found! It's enough, I suppose, to know that these medals were not given out a dime a dozen for trivial events-to win one, you had to be a Bad Ass Hero-the Real Deal! The only award above it is the MOH!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

A very nice example friend.

Quote by Wagriff View Post
    An Excellent award to pick up! It is, admittedly, tantalizing about the numbers, but, so far as I'm aware, a listing of the recipients to match the numbers has never yet been found! It's enough, I suppose, to know that these medals were not given out a dime a dozen for trivial events-to win one, you had to be a Bad Ass Hero-the Real Deal! The only award above it is the MOH!
    I understand there is a list (while no doubt incomplete) of recipients tied to numbers up to 8000 on this particular award, and within other similar ranges on the purple heart and silver star as well. Some can be traced through these lists which I believe were compiled by Gary Mitchel, but I understand copies of his list are like unicorns in the collecting community. Some guys over at US militaria forum have copies, and have been kind in looking for info when a medal is in range.