Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

US Aviation Wings 3"

Article about: Great set of service wings on the right einflieger! what is the maker? Walkwolf I love your collection my favorite wing has always been the flight engineer! it is a very art deco design. Do

Default Re: US Aviation Wings 3"

Great set of service wings on the right einflieger! what is the maker? Walkwolf I love your collection my favorite wing has always been the flight engineer! it is a very art deco design. Do you have any Aussie made wings in your collection? I think the maker is K. G. Luke... Now that I know you can identify wings I may need your help! I only own two that I purchased with uniforms but I would like to buy a Radio Operator's set but I don't know enough to get a WWII pattern and not something post war.

Quote by fedtec30 View Post
    Hey everyone. I have in my possession a "series" of 4 aviator wings, all of which I believe are original. All are marked "Sterling" with some other markings on them as well. These were passed down to me several years ago by my father, who is a WWII veteran. I am interested in selling them if the price is right (tough economic times right now). Can someone point me in the direction of an appraiser in the Maryland area? Three of the wings are (I believe) the standard aviator wings...one has just the shield in the center, one has the star over the shield and one has the star with a wreath around it. The fourth set of wings is has what I think is a dirigible of sorts in the center. I understand these were copied
    and dulicated over the years and would like to get an honest appraisal of there worth. Any help would be appreciated.
    Hi, Fedtec. welcome to the Forum !

If these 'other markings' are of letters and/or numbers they are post WWII,
    possibly into the 60's and 70's. Although the 'Airship' and 'Balloon' pilot
    wings were phased out during WWII, you are correct - this type is
    heavily reproduced.

Please post close up photos of them for us - front and back - if you can.
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by soalebm View Post
    Great set of service wings on the right einflieger! what is the maker? Walkwolf I love your collection my favorite wing has always been the flight engineer! it is a very art deco design. Do you have any Aussie made wings in your collection? I think the maker is K. G. Luke... Now that I know you can identify wings I may need your help! I only own two that I purchased with uniforms but I would like to buy a Radio Operator's set but I don't know enough to get a WWII pattern and not something post war.
    Hi, Soalebm, love to see what you have !

Flight Engineer wings were available by mid 1945, but too late to have been widely distributed
    during WWII and sometimes considered to be mostly post war manufacture - they are nice
    looking, well designed wings. I have no 'Aussie-made' USAAF wings in the collection as yet
    because they are fairly rare and quite expensive. As I remember, there were two
    or three makers of USAAF wings in Austrailia. The 'Radio Operator' wings
    you speak of are U.S. Navy, but perhaps you already knew this.

Genuine WWII maker-marked 'Sterling' wings are the most desireable, but in most cases
    the common, standard 'slick pattern' or 'Graduation' type wings are found. (mostly in
    clutch-back and not typically maker-marked, but will sometimes be Sterling marked)

Remember that an officer or aircrew member probably needed several uniforms and had
    to outfit them all with insignia. Not everyone had the funds in those days to buy the
    best, and 'made-do' with whatever was most economical or readily available.
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 12-20-2010 at 09:45 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

fedtec30
    ?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    Hi, Fedtec. welcome to the Forum !

If these 'other markings' are of letters and/or numbers they are post WWII,
    possibly into the 60's and 70's. Although the 'Airship' and 'Balloon' pilot
    wings were phased out during WWII, you are correct - this type is
    heavily reproduced.

Please post close up photos of them for us - front and back - if you can.
    I appreciate the response. I will most certainly post photos for you. If I remember correctly the "markings" on the back...in addition to "sterling"...is the stamp of a small star. That is if I remember correctly. The photos will be forthcoming. Thanks again!

fedtec30
    ?

Here are the photos as promised. US Aviation Wings  3"US Aviation Wings  3" As you can see from the photo, I was incorrect about the "star". My eyes aren't what they used to be...neither is my memory! I mainly would like to know what these wings are worth, as I would eventually be interested in selling them.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Aviation Wings  3"   US Aviation Wings  3"  

US Aviation Wings  3"   US Aviation Wings  3"  

US Aviation Wings  3"   US Aviation Wings  3"  

Fedtec, I'll be curt and take a stab at these wings:

'Airship Pilot' is an N.S. Meyer restrike; $50 - $150.

'Command Pilot' marked 'Sterling' is a copy; $50 - $100.

'Senior Pilot' by N.S. Meyer is from the 50's or 60's; $80 - $100.

'Sterling' marked piece with brass pin is from the WWII era
    -attributed to 'Bell Manufacturing'; $100 - $150.

These are only my opinions. There are many variables. Figuring out the
    originallity or era of U.S. wings is not an exact or complete science,
    and I may be wrong in my assessments.................
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 12-21-2010 at 11:48 PM.
    Regards,

Steve.

WOW!!!
    Nice collection, you have!

Well displayed too.

Congratulations!

Fábio

?

Steve,
    I am just browsing through some older posts looking at photos of other folks collections and I find this one.
    All I can say is WOW!! Very nice indeed. I appreciate collections like these as I know they take some time to put together, well done sir.
    One question for you. Are any of your wings marked "coin silver" ? I have only a few wings and one is marked that way and was wondering if the coin silver type are uncommon or not.

Josey

I agree very nice Steve I must have missed this thred before.

Eric

Thanks for the compliments...........!
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast