Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

US Combat Infantry Badges

Article about: Cheers Steve, I only just read your reply just now. Ok most likely a '50 set I guess

Default Re: US Combat Infantry Badges

Quote by cricketchris1944 View Post
    Here two that were found in a garden in Sainte-mere-eglise.
    Just curious, any idea how they ended up in a garden in S-M-E? Is there any trace of enamel on the badges? If they had been lost or torn off the uniform the clutchs would not still be attached to the pins. Even tho the CIB was authorized in 1941, I don't recall seeing any pictures of troops especially Airborne troops wearing the metal pin on CIB's into combat.

Terry

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Just curious, any idea how they ended up in a garden in S-M-E? Is there any trace of enamel on the badges? If they had been lost or torn off the uniform the clutchs would not still be attached to the pins. Even tho the CIB was authorized in 1941, I don't recall seeing any pictures of troops especially Airborne troops wearing the metal pin on CIB's into combat.

Terry
    The US troops did not wear medals or badges in combat.No I do not see any enamel on them.I think some out they were lost after D-day went the troop were station there.

?

I've just picked up a CIB marked Ludlow London.

Are the overseas manufactured ones more sort after ?

Regards

Gary J.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Combat Infantry Badges   US Combat Infantry Badges  

They are indeed more sought after by US based collectors. Nice one

Cheers, Ade.

?

Cheers Ade

It was a "car boot" special !!!

Also found a 4th regiment of foot 1874 - 1881 original glengarry badge on the same stall ! (Kings Own Royal Regiment).

Regards

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Cheers Ade

It was a "car boot" special !!!

Also found a 4th regiment of foot 1874 - 1881 original glengarry badge on the same stall ! (Kings Own Royal Regiment).

Regards

Gary J.
    nice find's. I do know a lot of U.S. stuff was made in England during ww2, especially field gear, maybe just it was needed & they were already in England. I could be wrong, but it makes sense as far as saving time. they couldn't sit & wait a month for it to ship in from America. nice artifacts .
    regards Marty

my uncle has 2 from his brother that was in korea they have a pin going across, but it could have ben ww2 awarded early in the war

Quote by Gary J View Post
    I've just picked up a CIB marked Ludlow London.

Are the overseas manufactured ones more sort after ?

Regards

Gary J.
    I'm no expert Gary, but you would think that they are more rare, than ones made in America, because I think the U.S. was so busy then making tanks, aircraft, weapons ,ammo,ships, etc, that it would make sense to let other counties make other things, such as your CIB, because post war& especially during Korea, Japan & Germany made many things, I know Japan & Holland made m-4 bayonets, as well as Eickhorn in Germany made scabbards & bayonets also. I will give you 5.00 U.S. for it. just kidding.

regards Marty

lol, i believe it was called reverse lend lease. from what i have read,it was more ecinomical for england to produce insignia etc, and use saved space on the ships for more vital things like tanks, planes etc.
    and yes, british made us insignia is very much sought after here in the states.
    fantastic british made CIB!

Hi, Rene.

I'm not so sure about pieces with 'grey' or 'coated' backs, and the
    clutches could always have been changed out for earlier ones.

( Clutch-back insignia was in use in 1943, and was preferred because
    badges would not 'slide' on the uniform, and sat flush.... )

Sterling pieces are generally considered to be older though.
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast