Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

US Combat Infantry Badges

Article about: Cheers Steve, I only just read your reply just now. Ok most likely a '50 set I guess

Default Re: US Combat Infantry Badges

Cheers Steve, I only just read your reply just now. Ok most likely a '50 set I guess

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    Cheers Steve, I only just read your reply just now. Ok most likely a '50 set I guess
    I've had the same problem sorting out the time periods for U.S.
    'Sterling' marked WWII wings !

I've found there are about 5 or 6 different types of clutches used
    until today - the kind with bumps/nubs on them made by 'Ballou'
    or 'Jandy' are modern - but the ones you've shown in Sterling
    with a star and patent numbers are generally attributed
    to WWII.

( Clutches were developed in the 1920's and there are Canadian Army
    badges of recent manufacture -70's/80's- floating around up here
    with 20's style clutches, so someone is still making them ! )
    Regards,

Steve.

The smooth clutch was used until 1945 in most cases so smooth clutches are usually a good first sign that they are WWII. However, most WWIi era combat infantry badges do not have that finish on the back. They are usually lighter like this. Also I have never heard that the placement of the "sterling" mark can be used to date CIBs. I have a WWII example that is exactly where yours is and another I know is WWII that is marked down in the groove of the rifle so different makers have different locations they mark.
    http://www.orthmilitaria.com/images/p3150545.jpg

Quote by soalebm View Post
    The smooth clutch was used until 1945 in most cases so smooth clutches are usually a good first sign that they are WWII. However, most WWIi era combat infantry badges do not have that finish on the back. They are usually lighter like this. Also I have never heard that the placement of the "sterling" mark can be used to date CIBs. I have a WWII example that is exactly where yours is and another I know is WWII that is marked down in the groove of the rifle so different makers have different locations they mark.
    http://www.orthmilitaria.com/images/p3150545.jpg
    Cheers Soalebm,
    This may sound like a silly question - but what do you mean by finish? Sterling does darken to a near black colour when not cleaned

?

nice CIB s , I don't have any left , sold the last one on an officers coat

Yes you are correct the well polished examples will tarnish but several I have seen were never given a good luster by the maker. The backs are darker and imperfect. I have a korean example that I will drag out and take a picture of. I'm not sure if it was produced overseas but its back is very crude. It never appears to have been polished by the maker. I have a friend who collects CIBs and DUIs and he will point out foreign made badges but I have not asked him how he knows an occupied German made badge from a UK made badge. I will have to pick his brain. Hopefully mine is a Korean made example I think that would be neat.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3