Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

US Sliver star

Article about: Hi folks, A while back i decided to put together a representative display of (hopefully) original US WW2 insignia & medals, in doing so i picked up this Silver Star at a very reasonable

Default US Silver star

Hi folks, A while back i decided to put together a representative display of (hopefully) original US WW2 insignia & medals, in doing so i picked up this Silver Star at a very reasonable price. This was advertised only as a WW2 Silver Star, on closer inspection on arrivel it seems it is a Bailey Banks & Biddle Numbered version with what they call a slot brooch , Now i believe these were retro awarded to deserving US servicemen in WW1 & obviously are still awarded to this day, My questions are do BBB still make them? are they rarer than other manufacturers? and finally is the original recipeant tracable by the number ? Cheers Paul US Sliver starUS Sliver starUS Sliver starUS Sliver starUS Sliver star
    Last edited by Walkwolf; 02-28-2015 at 01:11 AM.

Nice item Paul,sorry can't help with the I.D,sure someone here can...........

try posting on the us militaria forum. im sure you will find out who this belonged too. and no BBB sadly dont make these anymore. now Graco makes all of the US decorations.

This is actually an early type called a 'wrap' brooch.

There has been some tampering with the ribbon
    by the looks of things, so it's hard to tell if it
    was originally made this way or not.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Hi Folks , Any idea when Baily,Biddle & Banks stopped making them ,Cheers Paul

?

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    This is actually an early type called a 'wrap' brooch.

There has been some tampering with the ribbon
    by the looks of things, so it's hard to tell if it
    was originally made this way or not.........
    Steve is correct, however technically it is a split-wrap brooch. My opinion is this is an original set and there has been no tampering.

I believe based on the numbering, this would have been issued during WWII, and not one of those manufactured for retroactive issue for WWI and earlier. These are typically engraved, as well. Appears there was an attachment at one point; Star or Oak Leaf, depending on BOS, for an additional award.

Nice pickup....To give you an idea of value, there are a couple BB&B SSM's for sale on USMF in the $250 range, although in much better shape. Still, yours is worth more than a standard WWII slot-brooch Silver Star medal.