Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

US Victory medal question

Article about: I am a little embarassed to ask this rookie question, but I am going to anyway. I purchased this medal yesterday b/c I didn't have a minty, boxed US Victory Medal. I made the mistake of not

Default US Victory medal question

I am a little embarassed to ask this rookie question, but I am going to anyway.
    I purchased this medal yesterday b/c I didn't have a minty, boxed US Victory Medal. I made the mistake of not looking at the reverse until I got home.
    So is this an original or a more modern re-issue? As you can see the PO date is June of '46, but I obviously don't know if it's the medal that came with the box.
    It does not have the double-slotted brooch, which is why I'm concerned it may be a more modern re-issue.
    So is this double-slotted brooch a stead fast rule?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Victory medal question   US Victory medal question  

US Victory medal question  

Default re: US Victory medal question

Quote by Brian T View Post
    I am a little embarassed to ask this rookie question, but I am going to anyway.
    I purchased this medal yesterday b/c I didn't have a minty, boxed US Victory Medal. I made the mistake of not looking at the reverse until I got home.
    So is this an original or a more modern re-issue? As you can see the PO date is June of '46, but I obviously don't know if it's the medal that came with the box.
    It does not have the double-slotted brooch, which is why I'm concerned it may be a more modern re-issue.
    So is this double-slotted brooch a stead fast rule?
    Thanks,
    Brian
    Brian,
    Looks good to me, but there are more educated people on this than I am. However that being said, the crimp broach was common on campaign medals late in the war. So that is not a sure fire indication of a current medal.
    Terry

Anyone else? Thoughts please.

Quote by Brian T View Post
    Anyone else? Thoughts please.
    Brian,

This a 100% original to the period mint condition set.
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Brian,

Here is the current issue type. Note how the elongated catch and hinge are hand soldered in place, whereas the current issue has a similar catch, but an integral hinge. Also, note the blackening that is used on the current issue medals, you will NOT find this used on period medals. Another difference is in the medal suspension at the top of the medal. Note how the old stock example is more rounded whereas the newer issue is more elongated. This is another way to tell them apart.

I think part of the reason that the blackening is used today, is because of the low quality of the strikes. This serves to accentuate weak details, though the example I posted below is fairly good quality, I have seen some real dogs where the finish looks like it was sand blasted. I was told by another collector that the old dies from the period are used to produce these modern re-strikes. I can't confirm this as to date, however, that would make sense, and result in the low quality strikes of today. The dies are tired...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture US Victory medal question  
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Thanks for the education! I appreciate it.