Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Victoria Cross in hand....

Article about: by Adrian Stevenson Let's hear more! The VC was not issued named. Cheers, Ade. Sorry, Ade, but you are in error on this one. The VC is always issued named with the recipient's full details (

Default Re: Victoria Cross in hand....

Quote by greimers View Post
    . In the Falkland conflict we saw VC's handed out to counter public reaction to the war....
    Dont think I can agree with the comment about the Falklands war...I think it is safe to say that decision to send the task force to liberate the Islands was very widely supported here in the UK and it would certainly not have needed the award of a couple of VCs to counter any adverse reaction, as generally there was none, and the successful outcome significantly bolstered the popularity of Thatcher's government.

Here is a link to the citations to the VCs awarded to Lt Col H Jones and Sgt McKay, both of the Parachute regiment and their actions would seem to the layman to be certainly "above and beyond".....

VCs of the Falklands War

?

Unfortunately I honestly believe the Victoria Cross has totally lost its standing due to its historical award being dictated by political posturing and racial bastardization. My Australian Grandfather-in-law was put forward for the DSO & VC for his actions in the raid on Singapore Harbour, Operation Rimau. These awards were rejected for consideration on the grounds that the recommendation for the awarding of the VC to two of the English Officers had been refused due to their being killed-in-action prior to the deeds for which the award was recommended. During my service I was told by my ex-Vietnam NCO's that the award of a VC for a heroic rear-guard was simply a diplomatic solution to an Australlian Advisor being killed by South Vietnamese troops when he ordered them to stand and fight. In the Falkland conflict we saw VC's handed out to counter public reaction to the war and now Australia has just awarded two VC's for actions that would be deemed by most with military experience to be within normal combat expectations. It would be interesting to see a compilation of the deeds committed to earn each nations highest award.
    Interesting comments , certainly the award of some VC's over the years have led to speculation as to the reason why they were made and many others that should have been awarded were not for some ridiculous and often spurious reasons , that said if you look at the history of the award to the British Forces in the modern age , the Falklands , Iraq and Afghan it cannot be claimed that they were awarded for any other reason than For VALOUR , only 2 in the Falklands which were both richly deserved and has nothing to do with public reaction , the whole of the British nation was behind this war , 1 in Iraq and only one to Brian Budd from 3 Para in 10 yearts of combat in Afghan , hardly handing them out like confetti !!

As for the Australian Army i cannot comment .

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

I don't think that anyone can not believe that these awards were deserved, but I believe the point may be that in the past that awards have NOT been awarded where deserved due to the inevitable intervention of "realpolitik"

Best Regards,

Andy

?

Although an " Amurican", I have great respect for anyone awarded a VC, let alone those who were awarded it twice ( Chavasse, Upham & Martin-Leake), but I dare say that over the years, some medals were more deserved than others.
    This seemed to be more prevalent in the early days of the award, during the Crimean War and Indian Mutiny, for example, when the VC was at times awarded for acts that later would have resulted in a DSO, MC, or even MM. At that time, there was no gallantry award for junior officers, and only the DCM for other ranks, so I believe the VC, on occasion, may have been granted under rather generous circumstances.
    That said, I do not wish to diminish the glory of any holder of the VC; they were all brave, most amazingly so.
    I believe that in later years, after a particularly brave or desperate action, a specific number of VC's were allotted to the troops who took part, and the individuals were chosen by their peers and/ or commanding officers. This happened more than once, I believe.
    In this pathetically "politically correct" world, I pray that anyone awarded this highest distinction for gallantry is worthy of it's long and distingushed history.

BobS

Well put, lets we, as military historians , document those acts responsible for each nations highest awards.

rmz
    ?

Well put, lets we, as military historians , document those acts responsible for each nations highest awards.
    Hi
    Just came across this thread. Does anyone know the current location and a possible value..it has been offered to a friend. thanks for your thoughts

As for value...here is a fair representation of sold VC prices. As you can see, Lord Ashcroft buys most any that hit the market.
    SALES OF VICTORIA CROSSES
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

rmz
    ?

Thank you so much. Wow quite a range!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3