Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Victoria Cross-seen today'in the flesh'.

Article about: Toured the WA Army Museum today with the WA Arms and Armour Society-we were privileged to be shown the VC awarded to Sgt Martin O'Meara, 16 Battalion AIF. It was never worn by him except whe

Default Victoria Cross-seen today'in the flesh'.

Toured the WA Army Museum today with the WA Arms and Armour Society-we were privileged to be shown the VC awarded to Sgt Martin O'Meara, 16 Battalion AIF. It was never worn by him except when awarded. See this:Martin O'Meara - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Victoria Cross-seen today'in the flesh'.   Victoria Cross-seen today'in the flesh'.  

I hate to say that the quality of the VC pales in comparison to the lowliest TR badge ....... I guess it is the spirit behind it and not the actual "chunk of cannon"? but it must have been an awesome experience! How many armed guards can't we see?

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

None-held by the 2IC of the museum (a Captain in the Res.) with us crowding around. looking and taking photos-one highlight of a great guided tour-will post another gem later.

The VC was a definate highlight! The whole tour was fantastic and the new displays are outstanding. I've been there many times in the past but today was brilliant!

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I hate to say that the quality of the VC pales in comparison to the lowliest TR badge ....... I guess it is the spirit behind it and not the actual "chunk of cannon"? but it must have been an awesome experience! How many armed guards can't we see?

Dan
    Really , comparing a VC to the lowliest TR Badge !! The highest award for Valour in the face of the enemy , made from the original metal of Russian Cannon captured in the Crimean war and only awarded in exceptional circumstances , for me the quality / history of this award and i have held an original one in hand on a number of occasions is there for all to see and yet it is the circumstances of the award not that the quality of the manufacture of the medal that matter.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

The VC was intentionally made quite plain so as to not detract from the heroism that was involved in the action for which it was awarded. To my eyes it is a beautiful medal and far surpasses anything created during the TR period, which are gaudy baubles by comparison IMHO.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I've been to Mouquet " Mucky " farm at Pozieres quite a few times , it was a German HQ complex and the Battlefield is pretty much preserved as it was , it is of course one of the most famous Australian Battlefields in Europe their assault on Pozieres is the stuff of legends , Mucky farm is only a few hundreds yards from the Windmill where Albert Jacka should have been awarded a bar to his VC.

Will try and dig out some photos of the area !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Quote by Paul E View Post
    Really , comparing a VC to the lowliest TR Badge !! The highest award for Valour in the face of the enemy , made from the original metal of Russian Cannon captured in the Crimean war and only awarded in exceptional circumstances , for me the quality / history of this award and i have held an original one in hand on a number of occasions is there for all to see and yet it is the circumstances of the award not that the quality of the manufacture of the medal that matter.
    Paul - I was simply pointing out the quality of the VC's detailing compared to Teutonic die pressings for all grades. Adrian and the other medal and badge experts regularly point out the TR quality as a hallmark of their manufacture. The "chunk of cannon" remark was because in recent years the Crimean cannon story has been disputed by some researchers.

I am dismayed that you could think I would disrespect such a hallowed cruciform - because as I said, the spirit behind it overshadows all else.

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Having had the priveledge of seeing a VC today first hand was a great experience. I like the look of third reich awards and I'm happy to own any of them but I wouldn't feel right about owning a VC, they are truly special.

We were told today that the VC was and is still made from the Crimean canon by the same jewelry company in London. We were also told the captured canon was originally a Chinese canon that had itself been captured at some stage.

?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Paul - I was simply pointing out the quality of the VC's detailing compared to Teutonic die pressings for all grades. Adrian and the other medal and badge experts regularly point out the TR quality as a hallmark of their manufacture. The "chunk of cannon" remark was because in recent years the Crimean cannon story has been disputed by some researchers.

I am dismayed that you could think I would disrespect such a hallowed cruciform - because as I said, the spirit behind it overshadows all else.

Dan
    The point is that this medal could be a bottle top , it is the act that is being acknowledged , the physical quality of any piece is totally irrelavant to the deed for which it was awarded.

1st July 1916

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast