Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Vietnam Aviator Silver Star Group

Article about: by Alan M Terry , the " huey " was the iconic war bird of the VN war with the unforgettable " wump , wump , wump " noise that came from the rotor`s . Being a teenager mys

Default Re: Vietnam Aviator Silver Star Group

Quote by Alan M View Post
    Terry , the " huey " was the iconic war bird of the VN war with the unforgettable " wump , wump , wump " noise that came from the rotor`s . Being a teenager myself in the sixties i remember that time well ! Again , congrat`s on coming through that campaign and on your marvellous service record , Merry Christmas to you and your family
    Al
    Al,
    Your right about the distinct sound of the Huey, no other helicopter sounds like a huey. For those that aren't aware that distinct sound comes from the advancing rotor breaking the sound barrier. To this day I can tell what kind of helicopter is coming just by the sound it is making. The 540 rotor system on the C-Model and the Cobra are considerable louder than that on the slick and could be heard coming for miles. Its was hard to sneak up on "Charlie" when your coming at him in a Cobra at 140 knots but just as well I liked let him to know what was about to decend upon his behind.

Have a very Merry Christmas.

Terry

Steve,
    Thanks, got a very nice card this date, appreciate your thinking of us this season. Hope that you and your family have a wonderful Christmas.
    Terry
    A very Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones as well Major.

Mad Dog 39, Terry Morris

The above link contains some more information and photos of our esteemed member, and someone who I consider to be a dear friend (if I may be so bold as to claim that association).
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Some postings simply cannot be allowed to fade away into the pages of the forum because of their significance. So, back to the top...
    [B][COLOR=Black][SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][I] Steve[/I][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[CENTER][I][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=orange]Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?[/COLOR][/FONT]
    [/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [SIZE=3][COLOR=lemonchiffon][I][CENTER][FONT=Georgia]"Fly on dear boy, from this dark world of strife. On to the promised land to eternal life"[/FONT][/CENTER]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Some postings simply cannot be allowed to fade away into the pages of the forum because of their significance. So, back to the top...
    Chris,
    Thanks for the kind consideration. Don't want to take space away from other members postings, but I do appreciate the honor.

Terry

Came across this thread because of the bump. As always, thank you for sharing these and for your remarkable service. They are wonderful medals with fascinating history behind them.

Quote by Steven M View Post
    Steve,
    Getting old an senile I guess. When I responded to your kind action of bringing this posting back up I addressed it to "Chris". I had just boxed up a couple items to a friend and still had his name on my feeble mind. Sorry about the mix up. You have been most gracious and I appreciate it. Thanks.

Terry

cszakolczai
    ?

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,
    Getting old an senile I guess. When I responded to your kind action of bringing this posting back up I addressed it to "Chris". I had just boxed up a couple items to a friend and still had his name on my feeble mind. Sorry about the mix up. You have been most gracious and I appreciate it. Thanks.

Terry

I blame my mother, it's a catchy name.

To ease your worries sir, I regularly call people by the wrong name... luckily I cant make that mistake with the girlfriend as her name is "kris" as well

Chris

Quote by hawk3370 View Post
    Steve,

Terry
    Major,

No problem at all...I have been called much worse by some who intentionally meant what they called me.

[/I][/CENTER]
    [B]
    [/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]

?

im glad i stumbled upon this thread. As some1 said before....I too studied and collected Vietnam war conflict items. thats what got me into WW2. I know it's been said over and over but I truly Thank You for your service Terry. You are an honorable man and thank God you made it home safely. I dont know if you saw the program on the History channel that has been repeat playing for the past few weeks....But it was about the vietnam Huey pilots' dangerous job of rescuing other downed pilots and also infantry that was in trouble. It made me realize just how dangerous riding/piloting in those Hueys was....I never knew that they went down so frequently. you said u were shot down numerous times which reminded me of the program. You should be extremely proud of those medals as it says alot about ones character and what you've accomplished personally. Thanks for sharing as it was a nice change in study from my everyday WW2 journeys!

Panzer,
    Thank you for the kind words. The history channel recently ran a program about Lam Son 719 specifically about the Blue Stars and their guns. Lam Son was a real war so to speak, two of my good friends went down in Laos during that operation and their remains were just recovered a couple years ago. Helicopter crews took a lot of punishment over there, we were taking fire from the time we crossed the border into Laos until we returned to the Vietnamese side of the border.
    There is no place to hide in a helicopter so we had to just take our lumps and keep plugging away. But on the other side of the coin, would rather be in the thick of it than setting at some base camp in a supply room. Not to put down our supply buddies, everyone had a job to do and for every soldier on the line, you had ten in the rear supporting them and we could not have accompolished our mission without them.
    Terry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast