Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

What are these?

Article about: Hi, I found these going through my great auntie's garage and we haven't a clue what they are (or who they belonged to). Our relatives were in the Navy (WWl) and Army (both WW1 and WWll) Any

lockedhalo
    ?

Default What are these?

Hi,
    I found these going through my great auntie's garage and we haven't a clue what they are (or who they belonged to).

Our relatives were in the Navy (WWl) and Army (both WW1 and WWll)
    Any help/info will be most appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Janice

Default Re: What are these?

They are DI's. - Nick K

?

The original poster may not be aware of the abreviation D.I. (Distinctive Insignia) These were worn on the collars of the uniform blouse. They represented the unit in which the soldier/airman was attached to. These two look to be pretty good quality and they look to be the screw back type by the way they are positioned in the photo. Screw back back type D.I.'s were the norm pre WW1 through early WW2 then the pin back and clutch back type were common. I do not recognize either of these two you have pictured so I can't help you out with which unit they are from.

Josey

?

Hi Janice and welcome to the site. As Nick and Josey have said they are D.I.'s. We Rise To Defend is for the 76 Anti Aircraft Artillery, and Fidelis ET Paratus is for the 372 infantry or the 372 maintenance company. Hope this helps Gary

?

Janice a little more info the D.I you have is for the 372 3rd battalion Massachusetts. It has the red hand and a castle for service in Puerto Rico and the Spanish American war. Gary

lockedhalo
    ?

Thanks so much for all your help!
    I was truly at a loss.
    Makes sense, since there is a trunk with letters to home mailed from Puerto Rico~well, and China, Japan,Spain and Guam;-)
    Again, thanks for your help!

?

Janice you are welcome all I could find out on the76 anti aircraft was that it was started on 1 Nov.1943. Gary

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.