Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

where for art thou Ade!!! ;)

Article about: ah...interesting! cheeeeers..

Default where for art thou Ade!!! ;)

Hello again,
    ive recently found some more medals at a car boot, Ade was very helpful with my first find!!
    The first 2 are ww1 Bedfordshire Regiment. bwm and victory - service no. 21987
    pte A.J.Mason.
    After Ades help last time i did manage to get a bit further looking on the web etc.
    however now im lost!! i think he may have moved regiment and then become a casualty of war?? could it be possible?? and is it easy to find out for sure or will it cost me a weeks wages?
    The other medal is a ww1 victoy medal to one pte.H.Crowsley A.S.C 133345 with this one i would really like to find out his first name as it could be a distant relative!
    Im quite new to this game so any advice warmly received!
    I tried to get pics up but pc not playing the game!! let me know if you would like to see them and will try again!

cheers!

Default Re: where for art thou Ade!!! ;)

His name was Harry Crowsley.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture where for art thou Ade!!! ;)  

Your other soldier is Aubrey J Mason
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture where for art thou Ade!!! ;)  

wow..that was quick!!
    thanks a million!
    im particulary happy with the bedford regiment medals as they are my first addition to my local regimnet!! ))
    tytyty

I have now added the scans of the medal card index entries.

Also in answer to your question: yes, men frequently transfered.

Cheers, Ade.

thanks Ade!
    Could you remind me again how i can find out more about his service please, these are the first ones i intend framing up along with my other Bedfordshire Regiment memorabilia so dont mind forking out....but not sure how it works and im a very slow learner!!!lol actually im just a bit slow these days, i cant even manage to fill in my profile as it just seems to keep crashing out every time i try...?

what does all this info in the remarks column mean please?

These are the Medal Card Index Roll entries. Basically a card index file to show the soldiers name and what medals he was awarded. The reference numbers refer to the actual medal roll entry and page number where his name and awards are recorded for that Regt. The Medal Rolls themselves are held at the National Archives. These will give extra info as his Battalion etc will also be listed. I am currently awaiting my Grandad's info being researched from the Roll. I will post up who did the work and the cost, once I have the info.

Cheers, Ade.

ahhhhhh and it all comes back to me .....lol!!!!
    thanks a bunch im off to bed now. will keep popping in from time to time.
    hopefully i will manage to sort my profile pic. etc....
    all the best hve a great weekend!!

I forgot to say that the reference "KR 1743 1912" means that the medals were initially undeliverable to the soldier concerned. These would have been returned to stores for 10 years before being broken up if they remained unclaimed. But clearly he claimed them and got them at some point.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast