Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

WW1 French medal set

Article about: Pictured is a set of French medals in a rather dilapidated frame. The ribbons are beyond salvage due to fading and rot, and the certificate is damaged due to the medals being re-attached wit

Default WW1 French medal set

Pictured is a set of French medals in a rather dilapidated frame. The ribbons are beyond salvage due to fading and rot, and the certificate is damaged due to the medals being re-attached with glue, and then by someone else using blue-tac. The frame is missing most of its walnut veneer and has some woodworm damage. But apart from all the faults it should look quite good when repaired.

I have two questions to ask. The first one.... What order should these medals be in?

Second question... Did the French only swing-mount medals, or did they go for court-mount as well?

Obviously I want to hang the medals as they should be, but if court-mount would also be correct, it would hide all the damage to the certificate.

Thanks in anticipation.

Steve.WW1 French medal set

?

Hello
    the order is:
    Croix du Combattant
    Interalliés
    Commémorative 14-18
    Médaille des Blessés

IMO, don't touch !!
    you risk to deteriorate things.....
    cordially
    Didier

Hi Didier,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately I will have to do something to these medals. The ribbons are completely rotten through exposure to sunlight. The colours are completely faded, it is only my camera flash that has picked the colour out. I usually reverse the ribbon and use the good side, but I cannot even do that because they are covered in glue which cannot be removed. I have managed to carry out invisible repairs to the certificate, and the frame will have the walnut veneer replaced.

cheers,
    Steve.

?

Steve did you finish this little project? If you did have you any snaps would be nice to see how it went? Cheers Terry

Hi Terry,

If you go to the restoration and refurbishing section, you should find the thread on there. I posted pictures of the frame before and after. But here is one I took the other day. You would be better looking at the original thread though!

Cheers,
    Steve.

WW1 French medal set

nice group!

?

Hello
    new ribbons
    Unfortunately, it's a pity !!!!!!!!!!
    cordially
    Didier