Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WW2 British medals (replacements)+ Other pieces.

Article about: Hi I stand corrected, it is indeed for the Chelsea Pensioners. STABLEBELTS.CO.UK Thanks Cameron

?

Default WW2 British medals (replacements)+ Other pieces.

Hi All! First off I will start this thread by saying I am a bit ashamed I have not researched this myself sooner but hopefully you guys can help me! I have here a set of 4 medals from a very close friend of the family John Yates. Who sadly passed away when I was young. He was a WW2 veteran and I believe he served with the Royal Artillery and fought in North Africa. Unfortunately that is all I know about his service. I was too young to take in and appreciate any of his story's before he passed. I do know also he was wounded by a strafing Messerschmitt while serving in Africa. We were practically his family. He lived at the Chelsea home for pensioner's and he came to stay here in Liverpool with us a lot and a few times we traveled to London to visit him. So the medals and other items were left to my family when he passed and I have always kept them close but never really thought to research what they were awarded for. I should say these medals are replacements given to John after his original set was stolen Although I cant say when they were replaced! Hope you guys can help! Also there is a Royal Artillery plaque that was awarded to him during a visit in 1991 and a belt I have no idea about! Any info appreciated! Cheers! Sean.

WW2 British medals (replacements)+ Other pieces.WW2 British medals (replacements)+ Other pieces.WW2 British medals (replacements)+ Other pieces.

Default Re: WW2 British medals (replacements)+ Other pieces.

Hi

Is this the gentleman in qustion?

Book of Remembrance - The Royal Hospital Chelsea

Thanks

Cameron

Unfortunately, the medals cannot tell you anything apart from where he served (by the way, is that an 8th Army clasp on the Africa Star?), is it possible that the plaque to the 5th Artillery regiment was the regiment he served in during the war and went to visit? The belt is a modern stable belt although I am not sure who for. Cheers.

?

Hi Cameron! After a quick phone call to a family member to confirm John's middle name I can say it is John Francis Yates. How did you come up with that so quickly? Much appreciated! Also what does DOE mean? Cheers! Sean.

?

Hi Spitace! It is indeed an 8th Army clasp. Yes I believe he received the plaque during a visit in 1991 it is more the medals and belt I am puzzled on. Like you said I think also the belt is modern and thought maybe he wore it while at the Chelsea home for pensioner's. Cheers! Sean.

Quote by seandm View Post
    Hi Cameron! After a quick phone call to a family member to confirm John's middle name I can say it is John Francis Yates. How did you come up with that so quickly? Much appreciated! Also what does DOE mean? Cheers! Sean.
    Hi

No problem, I just searched John Yates Chelsea Pensioner. I would assume DOE would stand for 'Date Of Entry'.

Thanks

Cameron

Just done a quick Wiki check on the 5th Regiment RA. They were in North Africa alongside the 7th Armoured Division, so possibly that was who he was with. Cheers.

Hi there,Johns awards are The 1939-1945 star,Africa star(8th Army bar)The Defence Medal and The War Medal.On the bright side to the story that the originals were stolen,these WW2 awards were not named to the individual receipients,so these are every bit as authentic and original as his ones that were taken. In the end they are the medals he wore,so in my opinion they are his originals in all but name!! I'm glad you are looking after this veterens history!! Leon

?

Cant say thanks enough guys! This is all great info! Cheers! Sean.

Hi

The staple belt appears to be for the Royal Engineers.

STABLE BELTS OF THE BRITISH ARMY

Thanks

Cameron

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast