Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

WW2 NAVAL GROUP + Equator Document

Article about: Hi fella's, I have just received this small Naval grouping attributed to a chap named David Bonson. I am guessing that he only sailed in the English Channel during the Normandy landings as h

Default WW2 NAVAL GROUP + Equator Document

Hi fella's, I have just received this small Naval grouping attributed to a chap named David Bonson. I am guessing that he only sailed in the English Channel during the Normandy landings as he only has a France and Germany star and not an Atlantic? The document is one of those "quirky" items that seamen get when they cross the Equator in the Southern Oceans and is dated April 1946. The ship named on the Document only served in the southern oceans during the war, so I am again guessing that Bonson was a post war crew replacement? Odd group, and if anyone has any better ideas or information I would be grateful! Leon.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2 NAVAL GROUP + Equator Document   WW2 NAVAL GROUP + Equator Document  

Very nice Leon and thanks for posting it

Another nice group Leon. I too have one of the equator crossing documents. I believe the ceremony was known as the Court of King Neptune, or something similar. I can't remember the ins and outs but those crossing the equator for the first time had to undergo some fairly unpleasant "hazing" tasks. I have transcribed a war time diary that describes the process in some detail. I will try and find the section for you. Cheers.

Here you go, I have found the extract. From the diary of Lt. Iain Grant, en route to India to join the Royal Indian Army Service Corps.

24. 8. 41 Sunday
    Decidedly off colour this morning. Stayed in bed as long as poss. Not eaten much all day. Spent the morning asleep on my camp bed on “A” deck. This afternoon “King Neptune” held his court. Penly (presumably a fellow officer?) having crossed before was elected as one of the doctors, his job was to dose the victims with a pill consisting of soap and the famous No. 9 and make them wash it down with quinine. I fear the purging effect of the court will be both internal as well as external. Owing to the numbers only 20 selected officers and 30 ORs could be done. The court consisted of Neptune, his wife, the court Barbour, doctors, bishop, clerk, police and bearers who do the ducking in the baths. The decks were crowded with ORs, we officers had a birds- eye view of the baths from "A" deck. The victims were brought in singly by police who were beaten to their knees by ropes end before the king, who on being told they pleaded guilty or not were given the Royal Kipper (a bad fish) across their face and neck by the queen. From there he went to the bishop who asked that their sins be forgiven for encroaching on the king’s domain. From there they went to be shaved. After that they were thrown into the baths and ducked. The end of the show came when the court was thrown into the bath. This evening, before dinner, I saw the Southern Cross for the first time, it was pointed out to me by a staff major while I was taking a constitutional.

The way it was written is a little confusing, but you can get an idea from it. Cheers.

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Here you go, I have found the extract. From the diary of Lt. Iain Grant, en route to India to join the Royal Indian Army Service Corps.

24. 8. 41 Sunday
    Decidedly off colour this morning. Stayed in bed as long as poss. Not eaten much all day. Spent the morning asleep on my camp bed on “A” deck. This afternoon “King Neptune” held his court. Penly (presumably a fellow officer?) having crossed before was elected as one of the doctors, his job was to dose the victims with a pill consisting of soap and the famous No. 9 and make them wash it down with quinine. I fear the purging effect of the court will be both internal as well as external. Owing to the numbers only 20 selected officers and 30 ORs could be done. The court consisted of Neptune, his wife, the court Barbour, doctors, bishop, clerk, police and bearers who do the ducking in the baths. The decks were crowded with ORs, we officers had a birds- eye view of the baths from "A" deck. The victims were brought in singly by police who were beaten to their knees by ropes end before the king, who on being told they pleaded guilty or not were given the Royal Kipper (a bad fish) across their face and neck by the queen. From there he went to the bishop who asked that their sins be forgiven for encroaching on the king’s domain. From there they went to be shaved. After that they were thrown into the baths and ducked. The end of the show came when the court was thrown into the bath. This evening, before dinner, I saw the Southern Cross for the first time, it was pointed out to me by a staff major while I was taking a constitutional.

The way it was written is a little confusing, but you can get an idea from it. Cheers.

Thanks for that, we humans really do some stupid things! Leon.

Having served for over 22 years in the Royal Navy (I left in 2010) I have seen quite a few 'Crossing The Line' ceremonies and to give you an idea here are some photos I took of the last one I saw while on a 9 month deployment in 2007. This event occurred in the Indonesian region. The two 'victims/inductees' seen in the first two photos are the ships First Lieutenant and Operations Officer - no one is exempt if they have never crossed the line before!

WW2 NAVAL GROUP + Equator Document WW2 NAVAL GROUP + Equator Document
    WW2 NAVAL GROUP + Equator Document

Great pictures Hucks, seems to me that it would be a really bad idea to loose your certificate then! Leon.

Lol - In the old days you used to get
    an ear pierced.........
    Regards,

Steve.