Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 US Medals

Article about: Agreed Josey, I doubt that. It doesn't make sense they would change the style. Could always be proven wrong tho

Default WW2 US Medals

Hello everyone, Today Ive posted pictures of my ww2 medal collection. I don't know much about them other then what their names are. is there anything you can tell me about them? I also have a Dog Tag in there as well, its from the Vietnam Era not WW2, and a US pin as well, I don't know much about it either. So if there is anything you guys can tell me about them that would be terrific!
    Thank you for the help.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2  US Medals   WW2  US Medals  

WW2  US Medals   WW2  US Medals  

WW2  US Medals  

?

Default re: WW2 US Medals

Okay here you go. From left to right if your frame is in the upright position. First 3 are WW2 Victory medals, Army Good Conduct medal, next row, European-Africa-Middle East Campain medal, American Campain medal, Prisoner of War medal, Army Commendation medal, next row, Asiatic-Pacific Campain medal, Purple Heart. Bottom row, That sure looks like a WW2 or Korean War era dog tag with the notch in it. Beside the dog tag is a U.S.A.F. hat badge for the visor hat. As far as the ribbons go, other than the ones that match up to the medals I can only identify the one with the alternating blue and white stripes. It is for the U.N. Korea Service medal.

Josey

?

from the pin/broach set up on some of the medals they're post war made & from the dog tag chain it would make it WW2 if we can get a better look at it we might be able to dig up more info ?

here are some better pictures of the dog tags...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2  US Medals   WW2  US Medals  

?

Okay that is a better pic of the dog tag. It is Korean War vintage. You can tell by the date of the tetnis (sp.) vaccination 1951. His blood type is A.
    That type of chain was used through out WW2 into Vietnam and was a private purchase item usually purchased at the post exchange.

Josey

That clears things up for me, I was wondering about the 51. Thank you guys very much for the help, I appreciate it. What is the value of these medals, or everything inside this case? Which is the rarest or most valuable?

?

im afraid theres nothing rare or valuable about anything in the case you're probably looking at $20-$30 for all the medals together & possibly $10-$15 for the dog tag IMO.

?

Your Purple Heart medal is the best piece in your group. It is post war Korea, maybe Vietnam era. Value on it would be about $25. All campaign medals are post war some are much later though. Some were manufactured in late 1945-1947 these are considered the war time medals. Some of yours look to fit this period and others are much later. For instance, your P.O.W. medal was issued retro-active to the WW2 - Vietnam vets as it didn't exist until sometime in the 1980"s. Another sign to look for in earlier medals is the brooch style. There are several variations. If you intend to collect U.S. medals you will need to become familiar with them. On the medals you have pictured you can look on the brooch's and check for markings such as G.I or L.I. or numbers stamped on them as this will give an indication of when it was made and by who. Also, the medal itself can be a good indicator if the medal is a restrike or period.

Josey

?

Default Re: WW2 US Medals

All purple heart medals through today were manufactured during WWII in anticipation of the invasion of Japan.
    SteveR

?

Default Re: WW2 US Medals

All purple heart medals through today were manufactured during WWII in anticipation of the invasion of Japan.
    Where do you get that information? I've been collecting U.S. medals for a long time now and that is the first time I've heard that. If all Purple Hearts were manufactured during WW2 in anticipation of the Japan invasion why did the style change. I agree that WW2 era Purple Hearts were used untill the old stock was used up. But it is a tough pill to swallow to believe that the Purple Hearts being issued today where manufactured during WW2.

Josey

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast