Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

WW2 US Medals

Article about: Agreed Josey, I doubt that. It doesn't make sense they would change the style. Could always be proven wrong tho

Default Re: WW2 US Medals

Agreed Josey, I doubt that. It doesn't make sense they would change the style. Could always be proven wrong tho

?

When did the purple heart style change? Do you have an example of one?
    There were over 1/2 million surplus PH's at the end of WWII. The one I got in VietNam is the exact same medal that my Dad got in WWII and several uncles got in WWII and Korea. The only thing that changed was the box.
    How long have you been collecting US medals?
    SteveR

?

Steve,
    I don't doubt the PH you received in Vietnam was a WW2 surplus. There were several other medals mfg. during WW2 that were issued into the Vietnam era. However the new mfg. PH's have a different style brooch. Everything made now has the crimp style brooch. For instance if you were to request a replacement for your PH you would receive one of the newer styles it would not be WW2 surplus. I have been collecting since I was a kid when my Dad was in the military 60's and when I was in the military 70's. As far as an example of one of the newer ones, that is one in the original post here.

Josey

?

To Date there have been approximately 403,500 US military personell killed or wounded in combat since WWII. The pin on the ribbon may have changed but the medals are still WWII production.
    SteveR

O ok i see what you are saying stever. stever where did you get that statistic?

Quote by Josey View Post
    Where do you get that information? I've been collecting U.S. medals for a long time now and that is the first time I've heard that. If all Purple Hearts were manufactured during WW2 in anticipation of the Japan invasion why did the style change. I agree that WW2 era Purple Hearts were used untill the old stock was used up. But it is a tough pill to swallow to believe that the Purple Hearts being issued today where manufactured during WW2.

Josey
    The 'slot brooch' type in the earlier leatherette boxes were indeed issued in the
    Vietnam War, however the modern 'crimp brooch' style has been issued
    since then, and some makes are of lesser quality..............
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Quote by Franz1944 View Post
    O ok i see what you are saying stever. stever where did you get that statistic?
    Department of Defense , Casualties in US Military Operations Since WWII.
    SteveR

?

ok if you look at these two medals i have it will give you a better idea of what is meant by slotted broach pin & crimped broach pin.

the first medal is the WW2 victory medal this has the slotted broach pin which is considered WW2 era made the second medal is the air medal which has the crimped broach pin these are considered post WW2 made. these crimped broach pins version are not as sort after as the slotted broach version unless attributed/named to anyone in particular.

also WW2 era medals are generally presented in whats known as the coffin box but can also be found in small blue cardboard boxes as well.

hope this all helps in some way.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WW2  US Medals   WW2  US Medals  

WW2  US Medals  
    Attached Images Attached Images WW2  US Medals  WW2  US Medals 

Why are some Purple Hearts numbered and some are not? is it the same reason that some conduct medals are named and some are not? I was told that most good conduct medals that are named were sent to family members after the recipients were KIA or POW. But i guess you could have them marked also but that was rarely done. Could you request a numbered PH or were they sent to families?

Quote by soalebm View Post
    Why are some Purple Hearts numbered and some are not? is it the same reason that some conduct medals are named and some are not? I was told that most good conduct medals that are named were sent to family members after the recipients were KIA or POW. But i guess you could have them marked also but that was rarely done. Could you request a numbered PH or were they sent to families?
    Purple Heart medals with numbering are early awards - which may be traced - and were
    given at random. There was no 'selection' or choice or be made. Older stock was
    simply used up until replaced with new. These later issued medals, up to the
    present day, are not numbered.
    Regards,

Steve.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast