Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

wwi Distinguished Service Cross grouping purple heart numbered

Article about: Does anyone know the best way to preserve items. Any info would be appreciated. They were my Grandfathers.

?

Thank You, I had never heard of them being issued un-named. However perhaps rrgeee should take a look just incase.
    It is not unknown for Soldiers to wear Medals they were not entitled to. I am NOT saying this is the case here, but many Americans are not awear that CommonWealth Metals were named in WW1.

Dean O
    Canada

?

The back of the medal says for bravery in the field. It does not have a horse like some of the other medals I've seen. This style could of been given to American forces. There is no engraving on it.

?

You are thinking of the silver War Medal, what you have is the standard issue of the MM, for all CommonWealth issued ones the Medal is Named along the bottom edge, not the back, I Never knew these were issued yo American Forces in WW1, I know they were issued to Americans serving with the CEF

Dean O
    Canada

?

Dean,
    Thank you for making me do some research. Look at this link it shows he received the MM http://medinaarmory.com/plaques/CoF-WWI.pdf

?

Thats a Great link and I have never seen that before.
    Interesting that it states "British Military Medal" not a Medal for Bravery.

Canadian MMs ( that are named and confirmed) Bring $400 and UP some will pass $1500, depending on the unit and action.

Well we both have learned something!!!
    Thanks for Sharing!!!

Dean O
    Canada

?

Again I have to say I have learned something I never knew from this thread. I started by trying to help out another forum member and ended up learning, That's why I love this site.

Just an after thought. The sad thing is if that MM every went into the market ( or any other un-named MM or DCM) it would probably reappear as a Named one, and to the right unit it could sell for over $1000. I know yours will not end up on the Market as it is family..however that's the problem with un-named Bravery Medals issued by England, as I have said, Most Bravery Medals were named, (not all as some Orders were never named, the VC, DFC ect)
    So now I know if I ever come across an MM or DCM that is real but un-named, it may have been issued to an American, and a lot of US stuff finds it's way into Canada.

Thank You again for showing this group.

Dean O
    Canada

?

Default Added Photo with his medals encluding the British MM

Added photo of him wearing medals
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture wwi Distinguished Service Cross grouping purple heart numbered  

?

VERY NICE!!!!

Dean O
    Canada

Default Here Is Service Infromation of Luke Gaffey from NY NG and NY WWI Service Cards

I checked Ancestry.com and found the following on your Grandfather Luke Gaffey
    wwi Distinguished Service Cross grouping purple heart numbered

Default Here Is Service Infromation of Luke Gaffey from NY NG and NY WWI Service Cards

I checked Ancestry.com and found the following on your Grandfather Luke Gaffey
    wwi Distinguished Service Cross grouping purple heart numberedwwi Distinguished Service Cross grouping purple heart numbered

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast