Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WWII medals - bronze star, croix de guerre & purple heart

Article about: I was able to go & get better pictures taken of these 3 medals. I am unsure if the seller will part with them at this time. For now I will settle for the honor to shoot pictures with the

Quote by Rossi View Post
    Bummer one of the Purple Hearts is missing
    Yep!!

Happy New Year Fellas!

Hi Kirk
    figure you are getting tired of my compliments on your photography skills, but have to say again.."Top notch" on the pics. The whole story is so interesting, it does not get old reading about it. Much fun sharing the history with you.
    Well done...(as always)
    D.

?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Hi Kirk
    figure you are getting tired of my compliments on your photography skills, but have to say again.."Top notch" on the pics. The whole story is so interesting, it does not get old reading about it. Much fun sharing the history with you.
    Well done...(as always)
    D.
    Thank you David. I hope to find more details in the new year about Elmer’s life. I am bummed his wife is not well at 98 as I would love to meet her but it is not likely.
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

?

I'm very glad to hear that you are connecting with the family. I wonder if they would be a better custodian of that piece of history as you have been Brother?
    It was sold at one point. There must not have been an interest in it at the time, But now that it is a pricey piece of history. They are interested in it again.
    I had something happen to a friend of mine. Our neighbor was a vet. He told us his kids didn't care for his WAR STUFF. I looked at what he had and 1 was a wakizashi made by an epic maker. Once they found out that it was not just WAR STUFF but it was $$$$$$ they all of sudden were interested and wanted their Father precious items back in the Family.

Your doing the face to face and I know you can smell a rat if there is one. So I hope this is just a happy family reunion that could be pasted down to generations and not sold for the $$$$$. I know you have a great heart. Use it wisely!

Take Care!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Quote by AZPhil View Post
    I'm very glad to hear that you are connecting with the family. I wonder if they would be a better custodian of that piece of history as you have been Brother?
    It was sold at one point. There must not have been an interest in it at the time, But now that it is a pricey piece of history. They are interested in it again.
    I had something happen to a friend of mine. Our neighbor was a vet. He told us his kids didn't care for his WAR STUFF. I looked at what he had and 1 was a wakizashi made by an epic maker. Once they found out that it was not just WAR STUFF but it was $$$$$$ they all of sudden were interested and wanted their Father precious items back in the Family.

Your doing the face to face and I know you can smell a rat if there is one. So I hope this is just a happy family reunion that could be pasted down to generations and not sold for the $$$$$. I know you have a great heart. Use it wisely!

Take Care!
    Semper Fi
    Phil
    Sage wisdom Philly Dog. Years ago I was told a female family member relinquished the dagger, box and papers to a fellow collector. Instead of taking cash for the dagger they asked the collector to make a donation to a charity in a sizable amount. There really has not been much discussion about them buying the dagger back as now I am dealing with the Son and Grandson. They are good people and I am not sure what will transpire. They have lost track of many items which I want to see. Pictures of him in uniform for example they are searching for, poems he wrote about his war experiences & other items he brought back. They had not visited these things for over 20 years so much digging is to be done. Bottom line for me is the dagger is a treasure to me but not as precious or priceless as his history, experiences and lineage. There does not seem to be any angst or drama about me acquiring the dagger through a 3rd party. I had knowledge of the dagger 9-10 years ago and went after as one of the last pieces acquired with my Grandfather. There was mention of a theft awhile back in regards to some of his items. I am not sure if that was a family member or what as we did not get into nor did I ask. All seems to be good but I am waiting for the question "would you sell or give our family the dagger back"? I of course would do that if it was a fair for us both. The selfish side of me of course does not want to part with it. My goal some day was to donate to a War Museum and have a donation made to the Alhzeimer's Foundation which is what Elmer Passed from and my Mom is living with today. Either way I have enjoyed it for 10 years. Happy New Year to you and your family Phil. You are a fine man, trusted friend and good man who I have gotten to know well. Honored.

Rossi

Second award of Purple Heart is a bronze Oak Leaf cluster, not another Medal, so the Oakl Leaf is missing.

?

Tonight I learned that last evening Elmer's Wife Grace Lundgren passed away at 98 years young. I was able to obtain this picture posted today by Mark, Timm & family.

WWII medals - bronze star, croix de guerre & purple heart

A very interesting story and one that is relevant and familiar to all collectors. How many of us have been surprised and even shocked at a veteran's family letting go of medals and souvenirs for a "few bucks". And it's usually the grandchildren that do it. In many cases as we see here on the Forum it's collectors like Rossi who do prove to be the better custodian of these things, often researching the veterans history and story. But values are rising and those that sold ten years ago or more, may now have "seller regret". How to resolve that may be complicated. But it does highlight I think a need to document purchases from these types of families, in writing and with confirmation that the seller has the right to sell the items.

Quote by Krakow1 View Post
    Second award of Purple Heart is a bronze Oak Leaf cluster, not another Medal, so the Oakl Leaf is missing.
    On the ribbon bar worn on the uniform this is correct. I do believe subsequent medals were issued.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2