Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WWII named Purple Heart

Article about: Hi guys, I was at a local flea market this morning, and came across a box that was labeled Purple Heart. I opened it and the medal was in there, and the back of it is engraved with the name

?

Default WWII named Purple Heart

Hi guys,
    I was at a local flea market this morning, and came across a box that was labeled Purple Heart. I opened it and the medal was in there, and the back of it is engraved with the name "Oscar D. Ekberg MM1C USN". As far as I know, this would be a private engraving as I don't believe the official engravings listed the branch.

Anyhow, I did a little research on the name, and found it listed on a WWII KIA list, same markings/name: Oscar D. Ekberg MM1C USN". Further research found out that Oscar served on the USS Houston, and his date of death was March 1, 1942. The USS Houston and Australian warship Perth were both involved in a big naval battle with a Japanese fleet off the coast of Java on the night of February 28th, 1942. The Houston was torpedoed shortly after midnight on March 1, 1942and as it was sinking, the Japs lit it up with spotlights and machine gunned the decks.

I attached a few pictures of it, what do you guys think? I talked the guy down to $65. I also purchased the Navy service medal, which is also engraved with the same name.

Default Re: WWII named Purple Heart

A very nice set. I'm sure you know that his rank was Machinist's Mate, first class.

$65? WOW Very nice USN KIA.
    Looking at the PH case it seems it was an Army isuue PH given to the Navy when they ran short of their own.

If you are looking to sell let me know.

Trevor

Can we get a shot of the PH engraving?

?

Oh wow I guess I forgot to post it, sorry! here it is:

$65?? That's a killer deal for a WWII official engraved KIA PH...awesome find...for both a higher value and collector purposes, I'd keep the GCM and PH together IMO

?

Thanks a lot Javelin, if I ever sell it I'll definitely keep them together. I found a picture online from an Ebay auction that ended in December for the same guy, and the seller was selling a photograph of Oscar D Ekberg as well as another Good Conduct medal that's dated 1935. It went for $227

Sir,

You did EXTREMELY well with this group. Very nice indeed.

WWII named Purple Heart

WWII named Purple Heart

Nothing short of spectacular.

Quote by NickCT View Post
    Thanks a lot Javelin, if I ever sell it I'll definitely keep them together. I found a picture online from an Ebay auction that ended in December for the same guy, and the seller was selling a photograph of Oscar D Ekberg as well as another Good Conduct medal that's dated 1935. It went for $227
    You did a good thing, I don't know how these medals end up floating about the market. It just wonders me how they get out of the hands of their loved ones.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast