Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

WWII Service Ribbons and ALL THEIR GLORY!

Article about: Caleb here With the wind blowing like it is today in North Texas, I've decided to sit on my rear-end and delve into some AWESOME HISTORY ARTIFACTS! Now, I am assuming Stan earned these ribbo

Default Okay guys we may need a better picture

Quote by tank destroyer View Post
    The what am I, I believe is a certificate of merit ribbon.
    Marty
    Mr. Tank Destoryer, How are you doing? look at this pic. A few people seem to think its a "VFW" ribbon. But I have learned this one is covered in plastic meaning, it has that yellowish tint. Now if all of these are white, I personally am more inclined to agree with you, I'm not an expert. hopefully someone can teach me something new today. I can upload a more in-depth photograph if it is needed. But it just seems funky
    Last edited by SirCaleb; 03-31-2019 at 09:20 PM. Reason: removed second sentence refer to his post on this thread

Smile

Quote by SirCaleb View Post
    Mr. Tank Destoryer, look at this pic.
    the following example does not belong to me: Had to look really close. It's VERY SIMILAR.

It appears the Certificate of Merit was last recognized and awarded in 1918-1919. SO, It's a VFWer. Thanks for opening my eye.

Caleb

Wink Sexy blue ribbon!

The Presidential Unit Citation (PUC)
    This PUC is awarded to a member of the US Military (also allied countries) who shows an example of EXTRAORDINARY Heroism against an armed enemy, set after the date Dec. 7. 1941, when Pearl Harbor was attacked. This is a simple yet, remarkable ribbon. The solid ¿deep blue? ribbon and gold frame really catch the eye. "The collective degree of valor or combat (combat heroism) against an armed enemy by the unit nominated for the PUC is the same as that which would warrant award of the individual award of the Distinguished Service Cross, Air Force Cross or Navy Cross." - from the wiki page, thought that was an interesting piece to spice up the hot ribbon!

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    7. Meritorious unit citation
    Smitty
    My friend from another one of my posts helped identify a few patches, I thought I would drag this information to this post, I believe these ribbons are closely related.

ARMY Meritorious Unit Commendation

Similar to the PUC the Army MUC is awarded to units for exceptionally meritorious conduct in performance of outstanding services for at least six continuous months during the period of military operations against an armed enemy occurring on or after 1 January 1944 - thanks wiki.

The following is my example of the Meritorious Unit Commendation emblem worn by the men given said award. ¿The first generation? Old color embroidered laurel wreath, 1 ​5⁄8 inches in diameter on a 2 inches square of olive drab cloth is shown here WWII Service Ribbons and ALL THEIR GLORY!

?

The Army and AAF PUC is worn by all members of a unit that earned it. When the member leaves that unit, he has to take it off. For example, if you showed up to the 82nd Airborne today, you would automatically wear the PUC above your right pocket. This is seen in Band of Brothers when the old hands heckle the replacement for wearing it since he wasn't at Normandy.

In the Navy and Marine Corps, you have to have served with the unit during the time it was awarded, and thus can take it with you throughout your whole career. In those branches, it is worn on the left side with all other awards.

So, just because it's in the lot, doesn't mean he was with the unit when it was earned. You'll have to look up the unit history and see if the dates of his service with them align

Quote by Brig View Post
    So, just because it's in the lot, doesn't mean he was with the unit when it was earned. You'll have to look up the unit history and see if the dates of his service with them align
    Nice, I just was reading that. I would imagine he was with them. (though I do recall him actually being deployed in 1944, maybe he wasn't with them when "they" were "awarded" the medal.) I need to dig into the paperwork. I just definitely need to review the documents closely, as they do have sensitive information. On that note, sounds like I have some more work to do.
    - Caleb
    Last edited by SirCaleb; 03-31-2019 at 10:34 PM. Reason: changed my mind

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3