Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

38th Welsh Infantry formation patch

Article about: I am more than happy to express my ignorance to what story the combination here pictured can tell us,im sure theres a Welsh items expert on tap.Colin.

Default 38th Welsh Infantry formation patch

I am more than happy to express my ignorance to what story the combination here pictured can tell us,im sure theres a Welsh items expert on tap.Colin.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 38th Welsh Infantry formation patch   38th Welsh Infantry formation patch  

38th Welsh Infantry formation patch  

A partial answer would be that (I guess you know) the top badge is the 38th Welsh Infantry Div (WWII as opposed to the Dragon of WWI). The three red stripes (red for infantry) indicate the third or junior brigade within the division which in this case would be the 115th Bde. As for the red cross that escapes me for the moment but I think it should be a battalion distinction I just can't place it right now (old brain and working late shifts this w/e!!). I am sure someone more wide awake will be along in a min to finish this off!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thanks Mark,
    all i could come up with was St.Patricks flag and stopped there so story continues.

Yep that is a St Patrick saltire which suggests an Irish(most likely Northern Ireland as this is post 1922 and partition) connection but try as I might I can't think of such a connection to any of the units that were in 115 Bde at the time in question.
    I know I have seen that device before and it's driving me nuts! Somebody please help save my sanity!!

Is the background originally yellow do you think?

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

The backgound to the patricks flag looks to be beige as no yellow visible when you peel edge of badge back.

I have to pack this in for today as I have to go to work (Boo!) but something in my head keeps telling me that we are looking at 10th Bn R Welch Fusiliers (aka 6th(Welch) Bn Para Regt) but I can't explain the St Patrick cross or substantiate my assertion. Maybe later eh?

Mark

Any more in put from any welsh regiment experts ?

I am pretty frustrated that I struggle to back up my assertion. However, 1 Royal Welsh who are modern descendants are based just up the road from where I live and being an ex squaddie I know the right language to use (most of it expletive) so, I've put the word ot to those who really do know!

Stand by stand by!

Mark

Yes, 10th RWF flash, not commonly seen, nice.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Haha! Knew it, but I'll post whatever I get back as well.

Mark

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast