Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

45th Recce Regiment

Article about: I have just come in to possession of some photos, soldiers releasebook, pay book and AB64 of 5677587 Pte Wallace Bonham of 1 South Staffs, 45 Recce Regiment. Amongst all the photos were 2 bi

Default Chindits Insignia

I have just come in to possession of some photos, soldiers releasebook, pay book and AB64 of 5677587 Pte Wallace Bonham of 1 South Staffs, 45 Recce Regiment. Amongst all the photos were 2 bits of insignia which i have added.

Regards

Steve45th Recce Regiment45th Recce Regiment45th Recce Regiment
    Last edited by Airborne125; 03-03-2014 at 10:31 PM.

Bump.

The top one with the sword is 14th army, a locally produced bullion example for an officer and the beast is that for the Chindits, both for units in the Far East.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The 1st bn S Staffs were converted to infantry and fought against the Japanese in Burma during the Chindit campaigns.
    Regards,

Jerry

Thanks Jerry,
    Most of his army service records refers to 45 recce. Although his parent regiment was 1 S Staffs. He was an MT mechanic.

Steve

Quote by Airborne125 View Post
    Thanks Jerry,
    Most of his army service records refers to 45 recce. Although his parent regiment was 1 S Staffs. He was an MT mechanic.

Steve
    45th Recce were formed in 1941 and then were converted to infantry with 1st bn S staffs in Burma and 2nd Bn sent to Europe in 44. As he was 1st bn and the badges are all from Burma, it seems that he stayed with them in an infantry roll. They might have continued to call themselves recce, or the online research sources I am using might be incorrect.

Nice patches either way Steve and the bullion Chindits patch is very nice.
    Regards,

Jerry

Here are some more pics of Wallace Bonham and his MT section, it looks like he started out in the Somerset Light Infantry. Note Sgt Foote Recce badge on his Sgt's stripes!

45th Recce Regiment45th Recce Regiment45th Recce Regiment45th Recce Regiment