Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

49th (West Riding) Division 'Polar Bears'

Article about: I have a particular interest in Polar Bears as my Grandad served in 1st Battalion, Leicestershire Regiment (Carrier Platoon of Support Company) from Normandy through to Germany. Annoyed from

Paul, sadly no. but I know the top 3 printed on cotton are made in Iceland. My friend has a large uncut sheet
    from the clothing shop which printed these and sold to troops. The metal bears have been said made in Iceland
    but I have no proof. I do have war time photos of both USMC and British soldier using the metal type, so its
    period correct original.

?

Your right as far as i know re the metal ones , they were locally made in Iceland and were some of the first ones made after the adoption of the Polar Bear by the Division , by the time the Division returned to the UK the cloth ones were already general issue so there was no need to make metal ones.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Would it be possible for you to do some closer photos please ?
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Hinrik: excellent collection you have there! I echo Paul's request for closer photos.

Guys, sorry for late reply. I been reluctant to post close up photos. Seams now there are even repros being made
    of the Patch King repros But here is an update of my polar bear collection. hope you like it. I found a 1942 dated
    photo showing a US Marine and his Icelandic wife. He is wearing the metal type bear on his uniform.

49th (West Riding) Division 'Polar Bears'49th (West Riding) Division 'Polar Bears'[ATTACH=CONFIG]1108370[
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 49th (West Riding) Division 'Polar Bears'  

?

Very nice collection

1st July 1916

I have a pic of my grandfather wearing the head down type when he was in the Royal Regiment of Canada. Hard to find over here, been looking for a while. There seems to be many variations. Cheers Brian

A great collection with an amazing variety of designs. Worth the wait!

Regards

Martin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2