Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

51st HD patch

Article about: My grandad served in WW2 in the Black Watch as part of 51st HD from 1939-1949. Due to family disputes I never had access to him or his stories but amazingly I have just recovered a patch we

Default 51st HD patch

My grandad served in WW2 in the Black Watch as part of 51st HD from 1939-1949. Due to family disputes I never had access to him or his stories but amazingly I have just recovered a patch we believe must be his as it was with a load of my dads gear so he must have been given it as a kid and its been tucked away there for the past 50 years.

Anyway it may well serve as a useful guide if people need to look at one in the future or perhaps someone will tell me any more about it such as its a pre, wartime or post war example?

Cheers
    Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 51st HD patch   51st HD patch  

Default Re: 51st HD patch

This badge was a minor variation on that worn by the Division during 1914-1918. The more usual style is the red script on blue field. Very nice condition.

If you haven't already found them, these sites are great for more info on the Division:

51st Highland Division Online Museum | Home Page

A History Of The 51St Highland Regiment - Celtic History - Brotherhood of the Kilt

Regards

Martin

Default Re: 51st HD patch

Thanks for the links Salzburg interesting reading. I am currently working out the route he took in North Africa, Italy and France into Germany and intend to retrace his footsteps. Who knows I might even find where the silver candle stick holders i now have that were 'liberated' by him came from!

Steve