Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

6th Armoured Division Italy 1946, but what is the cap badge?

Article about: Hey guys, ive got a recent action find photo album, all taken in 1946 italy. can anyone help with the cap badge? the formation badge looks like possible 6th armoured? any thoughts appreciate

Default 6th Armoured Division Italy 1946, but what is the cap badge?

Hey guys, ive got a recent action find photo album, all taken in 1946 italy.
    can anyone help with the cap badge?
    the formation badge looks like possible 6th armoured?

any thoughts appreciated
    6th Armoured Division Italy 1946, but what is the cap badge?6th Armoured Division Italy 1946, but what is the cap badge?6th Armoured Division Italy 1946, but what is the cap badge?6th Armoured Division Italy 1946, but what is the cap badge?

Bit of an odd one this.

They seem to be dressed for hot weather and certainly for garrison duty.

The shoulder flash suggests as you say 6 Armd Div but they left Italy for Austria in May '45 and by '46 had been disbanded (reformed about '51 I think).

There are several (about 6 by my reckoning) cavalry and yeomanry units that used a badge with this outline of PoW feathers and scroll but none were in that formation at the right time.
    The only one I can suggest is an infantry unit; 1st Bn The Welch Regiment who were in 61 Inf Bde of 6 Armd Div in Italy but as I say not in '46.

All that said Austria does have some fairly sunny weather in places.

I hope this helps and sorry I can't make it fit Italy '46.

Mark
    PS The same formation sign of a mailed fist in blue and white rather than black and white represents to this day 20 Bde and they were once part of 6 Armd Div but don't fit this question in any way.
    Last edited by Watchdog; 05-12-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Whats the unit badge on the bumper of the car ? as would maybe help with the place the photos were taken

thanks guys, the photos are all marked with locations and dated 1946.
    so im pretty sure although its odd, they would be correct?
    the one with him holding the bunch of grapes is marked "treiste 1946" and the one on the car "Rome 46"
    the ones infront of the tent are marked "grerdiscia 1946"

im not sure if this helps or not, but i have also found a photo of the gent in question (Arthur Bradshaw) dated 1945 wearing a leicester regiment BD, and a letter from Major E Fisher 2/5 leicss reg CMF, to Arthurs father letting him know he's alright.
    in itself the letter is a little odd, i will put up a pic of it shortly.

Quote by kradman View Post
    Whats the unit badge on the bumper of the car ? as would maybe help with the place the photos were taken
    Looks like it could be "Allied Armies in Italy Headquarters"

I think you might be correct and CMF certainly stands for Central Mediterranian Forces.

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."