Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

7GR badge for comment

Article about: Good afternoon gents, This is a badge that pretty much set me off collecting as a small boy back in the early '70s It was given to me by a friend of my dad who had been in Burma during the w

Default 7GR badge for comment

Good afternoon gents,

This is a badge that pretty much set me off collecting as a small boy back in the early '70s

It was given to me by a friend of my dad who had been in Burma during the war. He didn't tell any tales of his experience but made me promise never to part with the badge before giving it to me.

All these years later I still have it yet to my shame I am not 100% sure of what it is. I know it belongs to 7th Gurkha Rifles and I believe it would have been worn on the slouch hat.

It has been in my collection all this time but never really seemed to fit exactly with any particular section.

All opinions / comments appreciated.

Regards

Mark7GR badge for comment7GR badge for comment
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very nice and for the slouch hat or perhaps for the Hats, Felt, Gurkha.

The Gurkha Hat - History & Facts - Research - The Gurkha Museum Winchester
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    Very nice and for the slouch hat or perhaps for the Hats, Felt, Gurkha.

The Gurkha Hat - History & Facts - Research - The Gurkha Museum Winchester
    Thank you Gerry,

Much appreciated,

I live only a few miles from the Gurkha museum situated in the former Peninsular Bks, Winchester along with the Rifles Museum (there used to be two, the LI and RGJ) and the Royal Hussars museum. Well worth a visit if in the area. The last time I was there I bought a Gurkha recipe book and some homemade Gurkha chutney, worth the trip in itself!!

I always figured this was a pagri / pugaree badge, I just never got around to putting it up for discussion. Considering how I came by it I think it really is a "been there" item and I will never part with it. Many of my dads friends were war veterans and in the N West of England we had amongst us many Polish vets as well as British but also quite a few ex Wehrmacht POW. I enjoyed knowing all of them but sadly I was too young for them to consider telling me of their experiences and it is only now I think of the questions I should have asked these long dead guardians of such awful truths. This badge as I say came from a Burma vet and is the only piece I have from my interactions with those men who endured more than I could imagine even as a late 20th century soldier!

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."