Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

7th Armoured Cloth Insignia

Article about: I would appreciate opinions on this 7th Armoured Division insignia, can anyone take a guess at the date/era ? I have read on other posts that some cloth insignia can be dated from the type o

Default 7th Armoured Cloth Insignia

I would appreciate opinions on this 7th Armoured Division insignia, can anyone take a guess at the date/era ?

I have read on other posts that some cloth insignia can be dated from the type of weave or embroidery method, Bevo and Brabant are two terms I have read, could anyone explain the difference and how to distinguish the different patterns, I have a few cloth insignia which I have bought over the years and would like to try and establish the age a bit more accurately.

Any info appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 7th Armoured Cloth Insignia   7th Armoured Cloth Insignia  

1948 introduced German bevo weave type. Brabant looks like this shown below.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 7th Armoured Cloth Insignia  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks Jerry, thats very helpfull, appreciate you taking a look, do you know roughly how long the Bevo type was/is in service ? Also is the Brabant an earlier version ?

Phil

Bevo was in use for quite a long time, I am not sure of exact dates though. Brabant is late 44 into very early post war. It must always be remembered that some British insignia was used until exisiting stocks were used up, so sometimes that might be more than 20 years after a new version was officially introduced. I have heard from post war vets who were issued wartime insignia (& uniforms) in the 1980's.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks again Jerry, good info and worth noting when looking for insignia.

Phil

?

To add to the confusion there are similar Italian made silk badges, from 1943:

7th Armoured Cloth Insignia7th Armoured Cloth Insignia

Dutch Brabant weave in cotton, late 1944/1945:

7th Armoured Cloth Insignia7th Armoured Cloth Insignia

Dutch Brabant weave in rayon, from around 1946 I believe:

7th Armoured Cloth Insignia

Thanks LucN, theres always an exception to confuse things but then thats what makes this stuff so absorbing, I appreciate your contribution.

Phil