Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

7th Armoured Division "Desert Rats" Patch

Article about: Hi all. This arrived today having won it off ebay for 99p. I have had a look through various posts about these but cannot decide what age it is. I think it is post war but I am hoping someon

Default 7th Armoured Division "Desert Rats" Patch

Hi all. This arrived today having won it off ebay for 99p. I have had a look through various posts about these but cannot decide what age it is. I think it is post war but I am hoping someone can confirm/ correct me. A little moth eaten as you can see, but still can't moan for the price Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 7th Armoured Division "Desert Rats" Patch   7th Armoured Division "Desert Rats" Patch  

Looks to be the first version of the 2nd pattern, introduced in November 1943. There are some makers variations in the backing or lack of it, but this looks fine as the late WWII version. It is of course a Jerboa and was often likened at the time to looking like a pregnant Kangeroo by other units and it did not match the better liked 1st Pattern. The 7th Armoured did not like this version, but the WD had had 1000's of them made and refused to scrap them and return to the earlier pattern.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Great patch, thanks for showing

Great info, Jerry

Cheers, Mads

Thats better than I expected then. It was the backing that was making me think post- war but as you say Jerry, there were variations. Very pleased right now

Worth 99p of anybodies cash, something decent from fleabay at last!..

nice pick up,well done.

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Worth 99p of anybodies cash, something decent from fleabay at last!..
    I pick up lots of good items from there mate, the difficulty is sorting the good from the shite that a lot of it is.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    I pick up lots of good items from there mate, the difficulty is sorting the good from the shite that a lot of it is.
    Never a truer word mate!...