Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

About the sleeve patches and brigade stripes on a battle dress

Article about: by Jerry B The only evidence for a patch is for the 231st brigade, but the book I have says all Maltese units wore the White cross or a version of it. Sorry, but this is the best I can do fo

Default About the sleeve patches and brigade stripes on a battle dress

Hello everybody. I try to make a 1st Battalion King's Own Regiment battle dress. I know that 1st Btn was under 234th Infantry Brigade (or 4th Malta Infantry Brigade). I don't know under which Division were the Brigades above, in order to find the correct sleeve patch for the uniform. Also, I couldn't figure out how exactly sleeve Servive Stripes were worn on the sleeve and what they stood for. I tried to answer my questions by reading the info in the following sites:
    British Formation Signs

Arm of Service Strips

Any opinions would be helpful.
    Thanks anyways.
    Nick

World War II
    The following battalions served during World War II:
    Regular
    1st Battalion was stationed in Malta on the outbreak of war, moving to Karachi in British India at the end of 1939. It subsequently served in Iraq and Syria with 25th Indian Infantry Brigade of 10th Indian Infantry Division. In August 1942, the battalion embarked from Egypt for Cyprus, but the transport was torpedoed and the troops had to return and re-embark later. In May 1943, 1st Bn returned to Syria, and then it joined 234th Brigade in the Aegean Islands in October 1943. Here, the bulk of the battalion was captured by the Germans on 16 November, after the Battle of Leros. It was reformed in 25th Indian Bde by amalgamating with 8th Bn King's Own and later served in the Italian campaign.

It depends on which order in the brigade they were in within the div as to how many stripes they wore, senior battalion has one red stripe, 2nd battalion 2 stripes and junior battalion has 3 stripes. I could not tell you what their ranking was in any of the brigades they served with.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Jerry B View Post
    World War II
    The following battalions served during World War II:
    Regular
    1st Battalion was stationed in Malta on the outbreak of war, moving to Karachi in British India at the end of 1939. It subsequently served in Iraq and Syria with 25th Indian Infantry Brigade of 10th Indian Infantry Division. In August 1942, the battalion embarked from Egypt for Cyprus, but the transport was torpedoed and the troops had to return and re-embark later. In May 1943, 1st Bn returned to Syria, and then it joined 234th Brigade in the Aegean Islands in October 1943. Here, the bulk of the battalion was captured by the Germans on 16 November, after the Battle of Leros. It was reformed in 25th Indian Bde by amalgamating with 8th Bn King's Own and later served in the Italian campaign.

It depends on which order in the brigade they were in within the div as to how many stripes they wore, senior battalion has one red stripe, 2nd battalion 2 stripes and junior battalion has 3 stripes. I could not tell you what their ranking was in any of the brigades they served with.
    Thanks for the reply Jerry. Though, i didn't understand exactly your point (my english is poor). Let's say that the private I try to make were under command of 4th Malta Infantry Division, 1st Battalion King's Own Regiment. How should his sleeve look like?

As far as i can find out, a white maltese cross in a red crusader shield patch over 3 horizontal red bars. This might be incorrect.
    Regards,

Jerry

As far as i can find out, a white maltese cross in a red crusader shield patch over 3 horizontal red bars. This might be incorrect.
    Something like the following photo? Also, it should be a King's Own shoulder title. Right? Do you have any photos?
    Attached Images Attached Images About the sleeve patches and brigade stripes on a battle dress 

Quote by hibacusa View Post
    Something like the following photo? Also, it should be a King's Own shoulder title. Right? Do you have any photos?
    Yes, that is the design and as you say with the shoulder title above and the brigade stripes below. Sorry, I don't have any photo's of this unit to show you.
    Regards,

Jerry

Yes, that is the design and as you say with the shoulder title above and the brigade stripes below. Sorry, I don't have any photo's of this unit to show you.
    Thanks once again Jerry B. I'll try to figure it out.Ι do not want to bore you, but can you give me a percentage in order to understand how sure you are for the info you gave me? if it's ok for you.

jwp
    ?

don't know if there any relevant info here, but here is a link to the kings own regimental museum, may be of interest,

King's Own Royal Regiment Museum, Lancaster

john.

Quote by jwp View Post
    don't know if there any relevant info here, but here is a link to the kings own regimental museum, may be of interest,

King's Own Royal Regiment Museum, Lancaster

john.
    Thanks jwp. I had already visited the site of the museum. The only good thing was that i found an e-mail to ask my questions. I have searched a lot for what i'm looking for, but i have came up with nothing. Do you have any related books or something which show British Regiments and Brigades patches. I have searched everything related in the internet, so don't bother to search for me. There is nothing!

The only evidence for a patch is for the 231st brigade, but the book I have says all Maltese units wore the White cross or a version of it.

Sorry, but this is the best I can do for you.

If you want I could ask elsewhere, but give it some more time as others might yet answer your question here.
    Regards,

Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast