Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

ARP Silver badge

Article about: Just a quick post. Two Silver ARP badges I bought these two together at an antiques fair. I was fortunate to get a male version (half moon button hole lapel) and a female version (Brooch pin

?

Default ARP Silver badge

Just a quick post. Two Silver ARP badges

ARP Silver badgeARP Silver badge

I bought these two together at an antiques fair. I was fortunate to get a male version (half moon button hole lapel) and a female version (Brooch pin)

Both are in alright condition with the female one certainly being cleaned in the past as the crown details have been worn away.

Markings on both as followed

Male Pin

ARP Silver badgeARP Silver badgeARP Silver badge

JC- Currently unknown maker.

Lion Passant - Confirms it is Sterling silver (925) - 92.5% pure silver plus other metals.

Leopards head - London (and Goldsmiths’ Company) Assay Office hallmark

The Letter “D” which is a code letter for the Date (1939)

Female Pin

ARP Silver badgeARP Silver badgeARP Silver badge

JC- Currently unknown maker.

Lion Passant - Confirms it is Sterling silver (925) - 92.5% pure silver plus other metals.

Leopards head - London (and Goldsmiths’ Company) Assay Office hallmark

The Letter “C” which is a code letter for the Date (1938)

So nothing too special but these are quite nice looking pieces. Plus they were quite cheap as well!
    Enjoy.

These are nice little badges, and sadly often overlooked by collectors. There are enough variants of them to make them collectible in their own right, and they remain affordable. An underappreciated niche, in my opinion.

They were used not only as lapel badges, but as cap badges as well. They can often be seen mounted on ARP berets. There were also versions made in white metal, which are rather scarce in comparison to sterling silver examples.

Regards, B.B.

....I have a dream......that one day the “New Posts” section will be FULL of ARP bits!!! :-)

?

Me too.

Maybe to get more people viewing this thread I should have titled it
    “Vorsichtsabzeichen für Luftangriffe in Silber”.......

Hello Jb4046,

Could it possibly be JC = Jacques Cartier, First half of the 20th Century maker in London?

Best wishes

Andrzej

?

History Of The ARP Badge - WW2 Civil Defence Uniforms, Insignia & Equipment

I got my information from this website and here is what they said about JC being Jacques Cartier

“JC - currently unidentified maker but definitely NOT Jacques Cartier (as the initials in a lozenge with top corners cut is not their silver mark); found only on C- and D-dated badges.”

Lovely badges, yet to get myself a pair! A must have for any collection imo, regards Paul.