Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The ATS Other Ranks cap badge

Article about: Hiya, here are the three variants to be found of the Other Ranks ATS cap badge. Left to right: Standard issue gilding metal (brass) cap badge issued from 1938 onwards. Worn throughout the ex

Default The ATS Other Ranks cap badge

Hiya, here are the three variants to be found of the Other Ranks ATS cap badge.

Left to right:

Standard issue gilding metal (brass) cap badge issued from 1938 onwards. Worn throughout the existence of the ATS until 1949.

Plastic economy ATS cap badge. The maker mark is J R & L Bham (Jarrett, Rainsford & Laughton Ltd, Birmingham) Produced from Dec. 1941 until 1945 and designed to replace production of the brass badge.

Private Purchase gilt washed badge for wear on the Coloured Field Service cap with split pin type fastening.

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The ATS Other Ranks cap badge   The ATS Other Ranks cap badge  

Default Re: The ATS Other Ranks cap badge

Very good to see the variations and an explanation of them. I tried to buy an example of the first type the other day, but it had already been sold. I noticed an ATS uniform on ebay at the moment.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

I've seen a chrome one too. Any idea who wore them? My own assumption is they were for musicians. I only base that on the fact that RAF bandsmen had chrome badges.

Not the same, but I have a single ATS collar dog on it's way to me and I'll post some better pics when it arrives. I also bought the other badge outlined in red.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The ATS Other Ranks cap badge   The ATS Other Ranks cap badge  

Regards,

Jerry

Hi, we have some colour pics of the ATS band and it does not show a silver/chrome badge from what I can recall?

Hi Jerry, good ATS Officers bronze collar dog.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Bang goes that theory then.

Quote by Bond View Post
    Not the same, but I have a single ATS collar dog on it's way to me and I'll post some better pics when it arrives. I also bought the other badge outlined in red.
    The other badge is a rarer Royal Engineers collar badge variant.. a ten-flamed grenade instead of the usual nine-flamed one. I would associate these more with the WW1 period than WW2.

Rob

Quote by Battery Command Post View Post
    The other badge is a rarer Royal Engineers collar badge variant.. a ten-flamed grenade instead of the usual nine-flamed one. I would associate these more with the WW1 period than WW2.

Rob

Sorry Lez, not meaning to hijack your thread.

Hi Rob, yes I thought it was unusual and of course, it was cheap
    Regards,

Jerry

Quote by Bond View Post
    Hi Rob, yes I thought it was unusual and of course, it was cheap
    It's a nice one to have. The CRE armband I temporarily put on my WWI CRA General's jacket (https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/ww1-a...-dress-171152/) actually has the same variant RE badge on it, which belonged to the CRE of 22nd Division. I have a few of the ten-flamers belonging to him, a man by the name of Fox.

Rob

The chrome ATS cap badge is a mystery, however, I have one in my collection. The only information I've been able to find on it is from a presentation of various ATS insignia, which says it was made for the new FS cap and was "unofficial".

Terry