Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

badge Identification please

Article about: HI guys I bought some german medals and badges from a guy this week which he said his great uncle had collected after being released from pow camp oflagv111f . And I must admit they look gen

Default badge Identification please

HI guys
    I bought some german medals and badges from a guy this week which he said his great uncle had collected after being released from pow camp oflagv111f . And I must admit they look genuine to me.
    Any way he put these ribbons and badges in with them for free without telling me. which was very kind of him. Wish he had giving me the military medal that goes with that ribbon, that really would have been a bonus.
    What I would like to know is what are the three cloth badges and the small ribbon bar with the 8 on it . Another type of african star ribbon? It seems to be thread wrapped round something not a ribbon.
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    Rod
    badge Identification pleasebadge Identification please

Default Re: badge Identification please

Ribbon bar is for the Afrika star issued to members of the 8th army who served in North Africa during Montgomery's period in command. The patch to the left is the 59th (Staffordshire) infantry division. The bottom one, with the sword (excalibur) is the 77th infantry division. The other is a trade patch, but I can't remember what it is for.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

The one Jerry forgot about is the "SP" badge is for Special Proficiency. The wearer got extra pay. Basically a trade type badge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    The one Jerry forgot about is the "SP" badge is for Special Proficiency. The wearer got extra pay. Basically a trade type badge.

Cheers, Ade.
    Thanks Ade for that.

Also wanted to add that the version of the Africa star ribbon not on a metal ribbon bar is the type that is seen sewn directly to a tunic, most commonly on the Battledress blouse.
    Last edited by Jerry B; 02-02-2012 at 11:26 AM.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks guys for your help
    Its amazing how a couple of clicks can get you more information about something once you know what they are.
    sorry I wanted to add that that little ribbon (threaded) bar came with a pin that has came detatched
    Rod

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post

Cheers, Ade.
    I don't want to nit-pick you, Ade, but the Special Proficiency badge is not any type of trade badge, it's a Skill-at-Arms Badge.

Rob

Hi Rob, I was perhaps being over simplistic hence the "type" bit in my reply

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

I take it a Skill-at-Arms badge was just for someone who was good at shooting ect.
    I am starting to wonder why his great uncle had two different infantry division patchs unless he just picked one up somewhere.
    I take it these patchs are quiet common.
    Rod

Hi Rod, either option is possible: he could have served in both Div's or he simply picked one or the other up at some point.

The "SP" patch is common.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade hope alls well.
    Rod

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast