Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps

Article about: Have a look at these which just fell into my hands being in with some navy buttons and described as such, knew i'd seen the wheeled badge on here somewhere. As you can see there is an embroi

kc1
    ?

Default Re: Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps

Have a look at these which just fell into my hands being in with some navy buttons and described as such, knew i'd seen the wheeled badge on here somewhere. As you can see there is an embroidered blue and gold badge with the same symbols and a five sided star, rank badge? The large buttons were for the greatcoat? Would four have been enough? There are six smaller buttons which seem slightly under the size of regular tunic buttons, would they have been smaller because it was a female service? And lastly the last lot of 2 badges and buttons sold on ebay in Aug 2011 for £98 so your boss has a good eye Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps  

kc1
    ?

I can even answer my own questions, should have looked at the linked photo first. Large buttons for the tunic opening and smaller buttons for the pockets and shoulder straps. It would appear that the high ranking lady has a cloth emblem on the collar whereas the rank and file seem to have metal. As these were from a house clearance/auction i suppose any info has departed with its owner.
    And just incase the link disappears. If it infringes copyright and someone might get legal then feel free to remove it, cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Badges of the Mechanised Transport Corps  

Hi, I saw the buttons and badges on ebay sold for £98. Was tempted but I already have plenty of metal badges and buttons
    What I need is 4 more smaller buttons for the pockets to complete a tunic.
    As for the MTC ranking not sure what all of them look like, it may even had evolved during the war? What I do know is at some stage officer rank wore gold embroidered stripes, tudor rose and other unknown symbols on the shoulder straps. Enlisted rank junior level start off plain and then one or more thin blue cloth stripe on the sleeve as they rose in rank.

A picture showing a large group of MTC at Liverpool. So they are not just based in Hastings.

Very interesting badges and information on the MTC.

First time I've seen them.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Very nice photo. Lez is looking over my shoulder with envious eyes!

I like the Hastings comment LOL. To our overseas readers, we have a TV show here in the UK called "Foyles War" and the co star is an MTC driver based in Hastings.

Cheers, Ade.

Foyle's War was broadcast over here too

Rob

Some of you on here may have realised that my main interest is cloth formation badges. On seeing the first picture on here showing very clearly the formation signs worn depicting a Springbok and small stars I was sure that I recognised the sign, after a bit of searching through my paperwork this is what I came up with. WWII Mechanised Transport Corps, Contingent in Africa formation sign. Blue felt diamond with white border, four stars and Springbok. Worn by a detachment that deployed to Egypt via South Africa where they picked up additional volunteer lady drivers- hence the Springbok.John.

Thank John.

Lez has two very large photos albums in her collection from a Lady who served with this unit. There is also a book about their exploits which she has.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Thank John.

Lez has two very large photos albums in her collection from a Lady who served with this unit. There is also a book about their exploits which she has.

Cheers, Ade.
    Would like to see some photos from the album

Gladys Calthrop the stage designer served in the MTC and a recruitment poster she designed

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast