Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Army cap badges opinions?

Article about: Gday Gent's, Picked up some British Army cap badges at auction this week. Seeking any opinions re originality if possible.I understand fakes abound with British cap badges and am no judge my

Default British Army cap badges opinions?

Gday Gent's,
    Picked up some British Army cap badges at auction this week.
    Seeking any opinions re originality if possible.I understand fakes abound with British cap badges and am no judge myself so any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
    Not quite sure what the badge in first image is.Canadian troops maybe?Civi design maybe?

British Army cap badges opinions?British Army cap badges opinions?British Army cap badges opinions?British Army cap badges opinions?British Army cap badges opinions?

Thanks Fella's.
    Last edited by Thanatos; 02-04-2012 at 06:26 AM.

?

Default Re: British Army cap badges opinions?

All of them should be self explanatary they are marked with the rgts , the first one you show looks like the Manchester rgt 1923-1946 and is a fairly rare badge, they all appear to be period made items ie not made from staybright and all but two carry the J R Gaunt makes but these have been faked in the past, the wreath and globe im trying to find as we speak

Hi Dave,
    Do you know if this is the correct "Gaunt" makers mark.I have seen a couple of variations of this and am not quite sure which one is real.
    Cheers mate.

?

The wreath and globe is the Royal marines, all of the crowns are the Kings crown therefore pre 1953 if they are considered authentic
    Dave the Gaunt mark has been heavily faked in the past, and from what ive seen there are a few variations, these to me look ok but an in hand would be better

Kings crowns for sure Dave.
    I purchased the lot for I was after a WW2 RM and a RAC Gauntlet and there they were.At $30.00 for the lot It was worth a crack.
    I figure with the Kings Crown and the correct "Gaunt London" mark they should be good.But it's the correct mark style/size that I'm struggling with.
    Thanks mate and all the best.

?

The main trouble with the Gaunt marks is that there are so many different stories that accompany them, having been moved from London to Birmingham in the 70s, some even say that the London office didnt make the badges but were all produced in Brum, and just had Gaunts London inscribed, its a real nightmare to sift through

I wouldn't consider myself an expert on British cap badges, but I don't like the look of these. It's not so much the maker mark as the quality of some of them the badges in general. The Royal Marines might be OK. The Manchester and Royal Warwicks look to be made of very cheap brass to me, but it could be the photo...

How long is the JR Gaunt mark in mm? That will help us be more definite.

Rob

I feel they are the "Gaunt with a dot".Dot between t and the L .1970's re-strikes.Shame.
    Thanks for the link Tom.
    The images are most likely the issue Rob,old camera mate,the badges are quite crisp but that's now besides the point.
    Thanks everbody for your imput.
    Cheers

Hi Dave, I think I have shown good Manchester Regt, Warwichshire Regt's and RAC on the forum.

But here they are again. Sorry I don't have pics of all the backs on file. All bar the RAC were from a late friend who collected these as a boy in WW2. He was never a collector in later life. He kindly gave them me.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Army cap badges opinions?   British Army cap badges opinions?  

British Army cap badges opinions?   British Army cap badges opinions?  

British Army cap badges opinions?   British Army cap badges opinions?  

Attached Images Attached Images British Army cap badges opinions?  British Army cap badges opinions?  British Army cap badges opinions?  British Army cap badges opinions? 
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast