Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Cloth Shoudler Titles

Article about: Hi all. I have had these for a while and am have am now trying to identify wether they are real or repros. I have little experience with cloth titles and cannot tell the difference between t

Default British Cloth Shoudler Titles

Hi all. I have had these for a while and am have am now trying to identify wether they are real or repros. I have little experience with cloth titles and cannot tell the difference between the ones from the 1950s and up and repros as to me they look very similar with their sharp lines. If someone could suggest if they are real or repros or any links that can help me find out that would be great. Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Cloth Shoudler Titles   British Cloth Shoudler Titles  

Default Re: British Cloth Shoudler Titles

I think all are post WWII issues, though many of them appear to have glue on the back which is usually something seen on WWII issues, so maybe early post war or a fakers attempt to legitimize them. Saying that though, I think that they are original and early post war issues seems most likely, but I could be wrong, as like everything the fakes are pretty good these days.

The GPR title is a desirable title and if any of them is a fake it is most likely to be that one. I am asking a friend about that one and will get back to you when I hear anything.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Thanks for the reply Jerry. I can explain the glue on the back, some of it at least. These to me in a frame and were glued in, which I thought from a preservation point of view was not very good so I have carefully removed them. Thanks again for taking the time to help me validate them

Could it be possible that they were glued on with their original adhesive?

Quote by Spitace41 View Post
    Thanks for the reply Jerry. I can explain the glue on the back, some of it at least. These to me in a frame and were glued in, which I thought from a preservation point of view was not very good so I have carefully removed them. Thanks again for taking the time to help me validate them
    That explains the glue and as I posted post WWII and almost certainly originals as far as I can tell, though let me get back to you on the GPR, which does not match the WWII versions I have seen, but might be like the others an original but post war, and would have to be pre 1957 when it was disbanded.

War time examples mostly don't have the mesh/net backing (this applies to all of them), though I say mostly as the makers of cloth insignia were many and there are variations and some did have this feature.
    Regards,

Jerry

I have just put some batteries in the old blacklight (should have done this before). There is a bright glow coming off the Buffs and Hampshire titles but not off the GPR, South Staffs or Lancers so I guess from a UV perspective those three pass?

I have just put some batteries in the old blacklight (should have done this before). There is a bright glow coming off the Buffs and Hampshire titles but not off the GPR, South Staffs or Lancers so I guess from a UV perspective those three pass?
    Not if they are post war as I think they are, as modern post 1945 fabrics will glow under UV. Sounds good for the GPR etc...
    Regards,

Jerry

Sadly from information elsewhere the GPR is considered to be a duffer. Still waiting for one person to reply who is likely to be the most up on these so maybe still good, but it seems unlikely.
    Regards,

Jerry

Ah well, half expected that. Cheers Jerry I appreciate the time that you are spending on this

Ah well, half expected that. Cheers Jerry I appreciate the time that you are spending on this
    Always glad to help if and when I can James. Sorry it is not better news.
    Regards,

Jerry