Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Can anyone help i.d. These ww2 bomber patches?

Article about: Hi Eric, and Everyone on this site I know it's been quite some time, but I haven't forgotten that I had promised you that if I ever found out the ID of the patches that I had, that I'd be su

Default Can anyone help i.d. These ww2 bomber patches?

Hello everyone! I am new here. I'd like to ask if anyone can please help me to identify these "Elusive" WWII patches I have. They are obviously originals but I have searched high & low for info on these without any luck. I am hoping to learn which Bomber Squadron & Group they belong to. Any help is surely appreciated! Thank you all!Can anyone help i.d. These ww2 bomber patches?Can anyone help i.d. These ww2 bomber patches?Can anyone help i.d. These ww2 bomber patches?

Default Re: Can anyone help i.d. These ww2 bomber patches?

As you said obviously originals love the snow back but i would like to know as well?? Looks very cool.

ERIC

Thanks for your reply. I've had them for years along w/ a 1" stack of paperwork. (incl. details of orders, awards, kills etc...) The whole lot is excellent. There are way too many Bomb groups listed to pinpoint a starting point to research for me (so far) Stuff in there like 5th airforce, 320th Bomb Sq. etc...............

I know some of you probably are curious as to which bomb group these belong to as much as I am ,so I just wanted everybody to know that if I find out anything at all, I will put the info here! Hope someone out there may know the puzzle to these patches. Thanks all!

Wow! These Patches Must Really Be Elusive! Anyone Out There?

Love the patch wish we could find out Ive looked also.

ERIC

Thanks Eric, I've posted on 3 sites now and have talked with several people, some have recommended sites, some have even stated their "possible value" ...... I think these are going to be a tough one to figure out, but It's now become a mission for me to find out. This is all very interesting for me just on the research part alone! A learning experience for sure. I appreciate that you took an interest and have looked yourself. Thanks & like my earlier post stated, I will definitley post my findings when I know,,Mike

Look forward to your reply Thanks Mike.

ERIC

Any help would be most appreciated on these patches if anyone knows where I can start a search? Would be great...Thank you all

The patches are what would be called "Unofficial" , that meaning they were an "actual" Squadron or Group type , but just not sent through proper channels to be "approved" for wear , many WW-2 units did this , I know as I'm a researcher of some 30+ years of WW-2 military aviation unit emblems , and have found and ID'd many of this nature, BUT, they are as you appropiately stated are "Elusive" , I ahve quite a few photos of "Unofficial" patches that I am always on the "Hunt" for thier ID's , your patches are "SUPER" !!!!!! to sat the least !!!!!!!!!! I really hope you get an ID to them , I would also enjoy knowing what unit they are !!!!!!

Another note about a "possibilty" of thier "Elusiveness" a lot of the "stateside" unit's when they first got going would have an emblem made/used , but once they got overseas into combat they would change thier emblem fro various reasons, either it was a "cartoonish" one that didn't fit the mission, or they would change aircraft , etc etc , so your's could also be one of these types , possibly a "Training" bomber unit .
    One other note , "Usually" a Squadron patch was on a round background like your example , but another Idosincracy of that era was this wasn't always followed to the letter, sometimes a "Group" patch would be on a round background and the reverse a squadron patch would be on the "Shield" shape that a "group" usually was.
    Johnny

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast