Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Can anyone help i.d. These ww2 bomber patches?

Article about: Hi Eric, and Everyone on this site I know it's been quite some time, but I haven't forgotten that I had promised you that if I ever found out the ID of the patches that I had, that I'd be su

Default Re: Can anyone help i.d. These ww2 bomber patches?

Hi Eric, and Everyone on this site
    I know it's been quite some time, but I haven't forgotten that I had promised you that if I ever found out the ID of the patches that I had, that I'd be sure to let you know.
    I actually wrote History Detectives back in Dec 2011 & they wanted to do the story. Long story short, I filmed with them in Feb this year and I'm not supposed to leak the info due to papers I signed, but the producer Finally told me the show will air on July 31st. He said 8pm,,,,but you'll have to check your local listings. Hist. Det is on PBS.
    If you don't get a chance to see it or can't, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to give you ALL of the details. I do have to say it's very interesting to say the least that NOBODY would probably have been able to find out since even the National Archives didn't even have this patch listed in their vast library warehouse, even under the "Unofficial" listings
    Let me know what you think....
    Thanks again for all your help in trying to ID these!
    -Mike
    P.S. I still have 1 of them.........The Original pilots son gave me 1 of them back (on camera) after I presented them to him

Hi Mike good to hear from you again!
    I look forward to the show. Is it a series or just the one? I am glad things worked out for you with it Mike.

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Hi Eric, It's a series. They are just starting season 10 this month. The guy they filmed me with, Wes Cowan, is also on Antique Roadshow. Hope you get a chance to see it.
    -Mike

Hello Everyone, Since the 'History Detectives' show has now aired, I'm now 'legally' allowed to divulge the ID of these elusive patches! I do sincerely thank each and everyone of you that has researched and/or were interested in them! If you didn't get a chance to view the show, here is a direct link Video: World War II Patch: Bird of War | Watch History Detectives Online | PBS Video . Until the patches were recently ID'd, they had never been in the record books of the National Archives. I believe they should be now, although I'm not positive of that yet. They have now been pretty much proved to be an Unknown Insignia of the 5th AF, 90th BG, 320th BS due to the fact that the pilots son Bruce Potter, has his Dads (Capt. Lionel B. Potter) original photo album which contains the original artwork of the patch from the time. Take a look at the show and see what you think.

I actually wrote 'History Detectives' back in Dec 2011 & they decided to do the story, which we filmed in Feb 2012. I've been getting feedback that a lot of people have seen the episode (Jul 31st) and liked it! Thank you all for all the time you have spent doing research on trying to ID these. It's most awesome that so many of you are so dedicated!
    -Mike

Hi Mike good to hear from you. I did see the show and I thought it was done very well.
    Glad to know what it is now and it was cool you got to keep one!

Eric
    [h=3]e plu·ri·bus u·num[/h]

Thanks Eric,
    I do have an attachment to the patch for sure after researching it for so many years. It was definitely an experience to meet Bruce and learn more of his Dads history
    -Mike

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3