Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Can you identify this patch?

Article about: This patch is from my father's box of WWII items. There may be some clues in this description. He arrived in Australia in the Fall of 1942. He was at Warwick Farms/Camp Warwick near Sydney a

Gidday Rich

Thanks for showing the pics.

With the PUC , was that worn because of a specific battle that the 6th was involved with?

Also being a spec 4 if I may ask what was your duties. Always interesting hearing veterans reminisce, the good times.

Phill

B36
    ?

I believe the PUC was for Mt. Porchia. (Italy?) I have an "Infantry Regiments" book that also lists Oran, Algeria. Guard duty at Brigade Headquarters/American Consulate and Spandau Prison. Immediate Reaction Force. Parades. Twice a year we would go to West Germany for training. Half of us by convoy and Duty Train. We went to West Germany for air mobile training. We hosted training for other US units in our mock city. I disliked guard duty so I volunteered for other training. I went to a French Commando school and a Spanish winter warfare school. We paddled across the English channel in two man kayaks and we went to the march in Holland. We didn't have to guard the wall. The Communists did a good job of that. Berlin was an interesting place and I was able to see some of Europe. Going into East Berlin was also interesting. It really made me appreciate the US.

Thanks for sharing Rich

Did you ever get to meet or guard Rudolf Hess at Spandau during your time?

Anyway thanks again.

Phill

B36
    ?

My company had guard duty at Spandau prison once during the 1 1/2 years I was there. I never saw Rudolf Hess. There were some other interesting things about the 6th Infantry. When you first arrived in Berlin you were given a bus tour of East Berlin. At one of their war memorials guards would come out of their barracks walk down the sidewalk. They would turn and march to the memorial, change the guard and march back to the side walk goose stepping. We were told to be prepared that they might take a few extra steps and force us into the street and they did. That made us smile. We could also walk into East Berlin if we were off duty. The communists couldn't stop us. We had to be in uniform and we had to do some paper work at brigade headquarters. We had to check in at Checkpoint Charlie and tell them when we would be coming out.
    The 6th Infantry's flag had a battle streamer for Little Bighorn. The story we were told was Custer had Gatling Guns attached but chose not to take them along because they would slow him down. If he had would history have been changed?

Thanks Rich

Military history is resplendent in "what ifs" all based on mistakes!!!

Phill

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3