Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Cap badge query.

Article about: Hi, this question may seem a bit elementary to some however i am just sorting out some of my cap badges and notice i have two leicestershire regiment badges. One just has the tiger with leic

Default Cap badge query.

Hi, this question may seem a bit elementary to some however i am just sorting out some of my cap badges and notice i have two leicestershire regiment badges. One just has the tiger with leicestershire underneath and the other is the same but with the addition of hindoostan above the tiger.

Can anyone enlighten me on why this is?

Thanks

Default Re: Cap badge query.

Either to do with the date of issue or if it is for a Volunteer battalion or territorials, I'll have to do some research to give you a better answer. Any chance you could post some pics of the two badges?
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Apologies that they are not side by side as they are mounted on different canvases. Thank you in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Cap badge query.  
    Attached Images Attached Images Cap badge query. 

After some research, during WWI the 4th & 5th battalions (Territorial force) did not have the upper scroll.
    Regards,

Jerry

Great, thanks

Date of issue is definitely an issue here. Hope these help.

Tom

Thats fantastic thank you.

Hi Tom, if you read my post above, the 4th & 5th battalions, not sure on the sixth though, were TA battalions and did not have the scroll, whilst the "proper" regiment from 1897 onwards did, ie the first 3 battalions, according to the books I have on these and the WWII publicastion badges of the services shows this example, so certainly pre 46 with the scroll.
    Regards,

Jerry

After checking some more I have to concede to the greater knowledge of my friend, Jerry.
    Indeed seems that only the 4,5,6th Bn's had the one with out the top scroll.

Tom

Not sure why they dropped the scroll for the TF battalions, but the same was done for a number of the TF/TA battalions of other regiments, either with missing scrolls or blank scrolls or the addition of a numeral. Some of the Scottish regiments did this as did the Glos, the East Lancs and the Lincs amongst others.

I think the middle one you showed is the all brass economy issue.
    Regards,

Jerry