Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

A Collection of Insignia

Article about: Hello folks. Won this small grouping of insignia in an auction a few days ago. It arrived this morning. My understanding is that this is a grouping of pre-war British, Canadian and South Afr

The same badge worn over the rank chevrons on the right arm indicates a Regimental Signals Instructor or RSI (not repetitive strain injury!!).[/QUOTE]

Cheers Mark for what you've written
    Here's one set I found today on a "Jersey Mans Heavy Olive Drab Round Neck" - this looks to have had Para wings on top? I am also a novice on theses!

Quote by reneblacky View Post
    The same badge worn over the rank chevrons on the right arm indicates a Regimental Signals Instructor or RSI (not repetitive strain injury!!).
    Here's one set I found today on a "Jersey Mans Heavy Olive Drab Round Neck" - this looks to have had Para wings on top? I am also a novice on theses![/QUOTE]

Hi Rene,

Sometimes a good piece of kit just refuses to go away no matter how hard the MoD try to delete it from the inventory.
    The Jersey Heavy Wool (JHW) aka "Wooly pully" first came to be shortly after WWII (there was already of course the Jersey Mans Lightweight) and has morphed many times into slightly different patterns (the change of nomenclature to; Jersey Mans Heavy Olive Drab Round Neck is a reflection of this) and has been directly copied by other nations (the first I recall seeing was USMC in the late '70s which I believe were private purchase but sanctioned for wear). When the contemporary multi layer clothing systems began to appear in the early '90s the JHW was deleted from general issue then completly a year or so later. But, guess what? I live close to 3 large garrison areas and every seccond soldier I see at this time of year is wearing a JHW! Not, sure if they are back on issue but they are certainly prevalent.

I note the impression left by the missing badge on yours though I feel it a little too small for para wings. I am more inclined towards it being a crown making the rank SSGT (called Colour Sgt in the infantry but in official records shown as SSGT). The colour of the badges is of course "Rifle Green" which depending on the age of the jumper denotes; The Royal Green Jackets (RGJ) or Gurkhas. Currently RGJ and (The Light Infantry) LI are amalgamated into The Rifles one of the so called "super regiments" with 7 battalions and wear the RGJ colour chevrons etc. Whichever the additional badge was, even para wings, it would also be Rifle Green.
    I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    PS A similar story concerns the '58 patt waistbelt. When '58 patt webbing was withdrawn the MoD had the devils own job in recovering the same number of belts as sets of webbing. They all seemed to get lost! In the years that followed everybody who could beg, steal or borrow one wore a '58 patt belt to the extent that some commanding officers actually approved it. Then, when enough could not be found commercial orders were taken up with companies like "Survival Aids" and the soldiers bought them in regimental shops etc. These were not identical but close enough. Now everybody seems to be wearing brand new and perfect '58 patt belts. Are they issued or private purchase? I admit I don't know but they certainly look right!
    Last edited by Watchdog; 12-27-2018 at 01:15 PM. Reason: typo
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    As Jerry said the red "stars" are Army Cadet Force Part 2 qualification badges if I recall correctly. The Part 1 was simply a half star as if the whole was cut in two horizontally. I can't remember what tests were involved (I am harking back to the early 70's here) but I think it was divided into subjects such as Drill, Fieldcraft, Wpn Training, Map Reading and First Aid.

Regards

Mark

The ACF award certificates for the red star badge... these were awarded to me in the mid 60's. Less than a year after the award of my 'Part 11', I was a 17 year-old 'regular' soldier. Note the date discrepancies for the award of my 'Part 1'.

Cheers,
    Steve

A Collection of InsigniaA Collection of Insignia

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Here's one set I found today on a "Jersey Mans Heavy Olive Drab Round Neck" - this looks to have had Para wings on top? I am also a novice on theses!

Hi Rene,

Sometimes a good piece of kit just refuses to go away no matter how hard the MoD try to delete it from the inventory.
    The Jersey Heavy Wool (JHW) aka "Wooly pully" first came to be shortly after WWII (there was already of course the Jersey Mans Lightweight) and has morphed many times into slightly different patterns (the change of nomenclature to; Jersey Mans Heavy Olive Drab Round Neck is a reflection of this) and has been directly copied by other nations (the first I recall seeing was USMC in the late '70s which I believe were private purchase but sanctioned for wear). When the contemporary multi layer clothing systems began to appear in the early '90s the JHW was deleted from general issue then completly a year or so later. But, guess what? I live close to 3 large garrison areas and every seccond soldier I see at this time of year is wearing a JHW! Not, sure if they are back on issue but they are certainly prevalent.

I note the impression left by the missing badge on yours though I feel it a little too small for para wings. I am more inclined towards it being a crown making the rank SSGT (called Colour Sgt in the infantry but in official records shown as SSGT). The colour of the badges is of course "Rifle Green" which depending on the age of the jumper denotes; The Royal Green Jackets (RGJ) or Gurkhas. Currently RGJ and (The Light Infantry) LI are amalgamated into The Rifles one of the so called "super regiments" with 7 battalions and wear the RGJ colour chevrons etc. Whichever the additional badge was, even para wings, it would also be Rifle Green.
    I hope this helps.

Regards

Mark
    PS A similar story concerns the '58 patt waistbelt. When '58 patt webbing was withdrawn the MoD had the devils own job in recovering the same number of belts as sets of webbing. They all seemed to get lost! In the years that followed everybody who could beg, steal or borrow one wore a '58 patt belt to the extent that some commanding officers actually approved it. Then, when enough could not be found commercial orders were taken up with companies like "Survival Aids" and the soldiers bought them in regimental shops etc. These were not identical but close enough. Now everybody seems to be wearing brand new and perfect '58 patt belts. Are they issued or private purchase? I admit I don't know but they certainly look right![/QUOTE]

Thanks Mark your fantastic insight! I'm pretty sure it was Para wing that were there, Adrian "Composite" sent me these wing a little while back so Wifey had sewn them on and around the original impression, Ok I have to find a rifle green set, but this will do for now I guess.

Sorry B.B for hijacking your thread Mate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2