MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

CWAC & RCA insignia: Husband & wife group

Article about: Hiya, this group of insignia belonged to a lady who served in the Canadian Womens Army Corps. Her husband was a member of the Royal Canadian Artillery. I display them together in these two R

Default CWAC & RCA insignia: Husband & wife group

Hiya, this group of insignia belonged to a lady who served in the Canadian Womens Army Corps. Her husband was a member of the Royal Canadian Artillery.

I display them together in these two Riker mounts.

Her name was May Clarke and she was stationed in Hamilton.

Her husband was named Richard Clark. The large bullion RA badge was a Veterans blazer badge worn by him. His cap badge is shown in the pic on the left in the middle of the display. The flaming grenade collar dogs came with the group but these are not RA? Most of the cloth insignia (bar the Canada and CWAC titles were his)

The multi coloured badges are Canadian Army Pacific Force Insignia. The small "GS" badges show he volunteered to serve overseas. The medal bar is for the Canadian Volunteer Service Medal: the maple leaf clasp shows he did 60 days service overseas.

These were a very kind gift from a friend, care of the family.

I have shown my other CWAC items here:

https://www.warrelics.eu/forum/USA-b...rps-cap-12185/

Cheers, Lez.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture CWAC & RCA insignia: Husband & wife group   CWAC & RCA insignia: Husband & wife group  

Default Re: CWAC & RCA insignia: Husband & wife group

Wonderful group Lez, knowing who they belonged to makes them extra special. It's certainly a privilege that the family entrusted you with them. I just wish more families would take interest in preserving treasures like these. Thanks for sharing.

Jay

Hiya Jay, thank you. I feel the same.

Cheers, Lez.

Interesting group. I'm trying to split them up in my head between May and her husband

Unless you know for sure from the family, the GS patches are much more likely to be hers. Both these and the 'T' trade badges were not worn outside Canada, and couldn't have been worn by Richard for long, as he obviously did 4 years overseas service. The stripes in the centre look to be upside-down US Corporal stripes to me. I also suspect the hooks and two tiny Canadian GS buttons are from the Field Service Cap.

The flaming grenade collar dogs were a multi-purpose badge, used at different times by artillery, engineers and infantry. They are the standard Service Dress shoulder title for British fusilier regiments, and were used by the Royal Artillery as collar badges on full dress prior to WWI. They were certainly used in WWI by Canadian Engineers as collar badges on SD, and I have also seen them used as RE serjeant's sleeve grenades.

Nice lot though, do you have any information as to which unit of the RCA her served with?

Rob

Hiya Rob, you are a star! Thank you.

The whole lot came in a bag with no real detail was to who wore what. Sadly we don't know his unit. He passed away in 1969 according to her obituary. Ade though the stripes were US too.

Cheers, Lez.