Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Does anyone recognize this?

Article about: Hi, I'm not completely sure that this post is in the correct forum. If it isn't my apologies, and I would appreciate it if a moderator could move it to where it should be. Anyway, a few days

Default Does anyone recognize this?

Hi,

I'm not completely sure that this post is in the correct forum. If it isn't my apologies, and I would appreciate it if a moderator could move it to where it should be.

Anyway, a few days ago I picked up a collection of militaria that had belonged to an RAF airman who'd served in Southeast Asia late in the war. Included was this little metal item, about 25mm wide. It could simply be a good luck charm, but it looks familiar to me somehow and I'm wondering if it might just be military. Does anyone recognize what it might be? Here is a view of the front; the back is completely flat and unmarked:

I dont know what to make of it and feel let it stay here until a few more eyes can take a look at it.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

...coming from an airman you're naturally drawn to what could be a two-blade prop or perhaps even bird wings...but South East Asia is full "Buddha Eyes" or "Wisdom Eyes" images and they appear on everything from Temples/buildings to jewelry etc. Have you considered this option?

'just a thought........

Thanks, Composite. No, I wasn't aware of "Buddha Eyes", but your theory makes complete sense. So, I guess this was probably some sort of good luck charm for our airman. Mystery solved, I think!

Okay, a quick bit of Googling of "Wisdom Eyes" is turning up stuff that looks VERY similar to our mystery object. So, I'm pretty confident that this was a crude, locally made charm kept by the airman as some sort of charm or souvenir.

Thanks again, Composite!